• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Warbler in Iran? (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
I saw this bird yesterday ( September 11 ) when it was active near the agricultural fields, and I only managed to take a picture of it, and it was shaking its tail frequently.

Iran : 35.242724, 51.492275

Attachments

• DSCN4221.jpg
    DSCN4221.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
Short primary projection and dark tip to bill should make it booted warbler but it looks a bit messy and greyer than my search image but I wonder if that is the strong light and the fact it is in active body moult.

It reminds me of some of the tatty Upcher's warblers I used to see in the UAE at this time of year.

Pale lores, pinkish bill base, uneven spaced tertials and dark tail seem to fit. The 'skinny' look is odd, but on hot days, a lot of species pull in their feathers but this does seem to be extreme. In reality the swinging if the tail and larger size would have been apparent.

It reminds me of some of the tatty Upcher's warblers I used to see in the UAE at this time of year.

Pale lores, pinkish bill base, uneven spaced tertials and dark tail seem to fit. The 'skinny' look is odd, but on hot days, a lot of species pull in their feathers but this does seem to be extreme. In reality the swinging if the tail and larger size would have been apparent.
Your memories must have dimmed! Structure is completely wrong, bill way too small and pp way too short. True, the tertial spacing is uneven but it's not a Hippolais warbler. Upcher's don't have pink-based dark-tipped bills.

Agree with Tote, it's a Menetries's which also habitually cocks and fans its tail.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back