• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what lens - yet again (7 Viewers)

For butterflies and dragonflies I find that my 100-400 lens with a 21mm extension tube makes a good "macro" lens. For adequate DOF I do need to stop the lens down to around f/14-16. That is where IS can be an advantage.

By the way, it is possible to achieve good results with this lens using a 1.4x or 2x TC if you manually focus and use Live View. I have tried the pin-taping trick but find that it does not work for me with my 40D.

Mike

Dear Neal Brown,

When i was looking for my tele, i had the same question. I have purchased the canon 100-400 just because the IS, which really makes me get better shots in lowlight conditions. I was shaded by the tree in so many times so that i could not get enough light to get sharp images.
I hope this could help you and please, be kind to my english!

Ricardo

50d + 100-400, no tubes, just cropped....

Attachments

• 20090912_104352_2749_LR.jpg
    20090912_104352_2749_LR.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back