• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What size nestbox hole for great tits? (1 Viewer)

Wickham

Skype username wickham43 (I have video)
I notice that the RSPB sells nestboxes with two sizes of hole - for blue tits or larger for sparrows.

I bought a nest box with a small hole for blue tits but today a great tit is trying to make the hole bigger. The trouble is the new nestbox is made of hard plywood and it's not having much effect! Just managing to strip a little of the outer ply away. Should I lend a hand?

I'm surprised that the nest box is being looked at as it's very yellow and new and probably smells of new plywood.

Wickham said:
I notice that the RSPB sells nestboxes with two sizes of hole - for blue tits or larger for sparrows.

I bought a nest box with a small hole for blue tits but today a great tit is trying to make the hole bigger. The trouble is the new nestbox is made of hard plywood and it's not having much effect! Just managing to strip a little of the outer ply away. Should I lend a hand?

I'm surprised that the nest box is being looked at as it's very yellow and new and probably smells of new plywood.

32mm hole for great tits, but don't be surprised if blue tits end up in the box anyway.

Size matters

Wickham said:

I think when I was with the Y.O.C. we used to make 1 1/4" for blue and 1 1/2" for great tits. Birds do this naturally when exploring for nest sites and will enlarge the entry hole if its not big enough. Woodpeckers (amongst others!) will go straight through the side to extract the nestlings. Best bet is to leave alone or you may spook your prospecting parus major.

If you don't want your hole to grow, then a metal plate with the correct diameter or concrete box should stop any unwanted entry.

trealawboy said:
32mm hole for great tits, but don't be surprised if blue tits end up in the box anyway.

You're so right! I know the difference between blue and great tits as a pair of each visit my bird table outside my kitchen window.

Just now a blue tit went inside the box. Perhaps there was some competition for it.

PS The great tit is having another go; I hope he/she finds somewhere else. A blue tit was seen with a white feather for nest material.

(While I was watching through a dirty window a pair of robins mated five times in the cotoneaster a few feet away - spring is definitely here!)

Last edited:
Wickham said:
You're so right! I know the difference between blue and great tits as a pair of each visit my bird table outside my kitchen window.

Just now a blue tit went inside the box. Perhaps there was some competition for it.

PS The great tit is having another go; I hope he/she finds somewhere else. A blue tit was seen with a white feather for nest material.

(While I was watching through a dirty window a pair of robins mated five times in the cotoneaster a few feet away - spring is definitely here!)

Hi, try and get a second box with a larger hole. If the great tit gets in, it may kill the blue tit for the use of the box. I have seen it with boxes I check.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back