• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What souvenirs do you keep from foreign trips? (1 Viewer)

LOL I always seem to end up with an odd bank note, which doesn't seem a large enough one to get changed.

No, I don't bring back anything to actually keep (except pictures) as I've enough junk in my flat I don't want any more LOL. I may bring back leaflets of reserves etc I've visited.

But my main thing is locally made chutney or jam that is made from something different that I can't get here.... like Rosella jam... gorgeous.

I haven’t been on many "real" foreign birding trips but here a small selection of my birding trip related fridge magnets, although having a fridge built into kitchen cabinets these have been forced into becoming "radiator magnets"

IMG_0034.jpeg

Fridge magnets. My daughter brought one back from a school trip 22 years ago, and I now have a huge collection. They are displayed on three large magnetic boards in my kitchen. One is for UK magnets, one for European and one for long haul.

I keep multiple bank notes - anything up to a value of roughly $25 equivalent. And if I go back to a country and they've changed their bills, I gather a new set. I have about 4 binders full of them so far.

I also pick up the occasional fridge magnet.

Doesn't it get cold in PA Jeff, or do you have underfloor heating?
Oh, it gets cold. It's about 8ºC this morning.

The house I grew up in was built in the 1920's. It had radiators. But most new construction in the US has some form of central heating, either electric, oil, or gas. My apartment has an electric heat pump that also works as central air conditioning in the summer.

The house I grew up in was built in the 1920's. It had radiators. But most new construction in the US has some form of central heating,
My house was built in the 60s and we have gas fired central heating, the picture is the top of a 6 foot, upright, radiator. Incredibly efficient, compared to the gas central heating system in my first house (1982-ish)

Last edited:
If there's a different currency, then coins and bills.

But usually I like taking a small consumable that can be enjoyed months after, coffee, chocolate, etc. Not enough to last more than a few months but enough to get you smiling remembering that trip and "wean you off" the trip's high/travel mindset.

If there's a different currency, then coins and bills.

But usually I like taking a small consumable that can be enjoyed months after, coffee, chocolate, etc. Not enough to last more than a few months but enough to get you smiling remembering that trip and "wean you off" the trip's high/travel mindset.

Same! Also quite often a bottle of some locally-produced liquor or wine.

Once in a great while I'll also purchase some small piece of artwork. I have a coffee cup with a hand-painted sunbird on it from my trip to South Africa in 2010, it's still one of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back