• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What type of Oriole is this??? (1 Viewer)

MJBradley1967

United States
I've seen this one flitting about in the tree outside my 4th floor apartment. Very hard to get a clean shot, but I got a couple decent ones. Far NE Illinois, almost Wisconsin.

I think it's a little too big to be a basic Oriole and the white on the wing is above the black. It has a black beak, which seems to rule out a black-headed Oriole.

It's more yellow than orange, so maybe a Scott's or Audobon's Oriole?

20220520_171842.jpg20220520_171846.jpgOrioles 1a.jpg

Just a guess but I’m leaning towards a Baltimore Oriole.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

Please join in wherever you like :)

Thanks all. I'm hoping for a shot at a better...shot of this bird.

Will Orioles come to a feeder? I used to hang a small bird feeder out on the patio and leave my camera setup outside the screen and use the remote clicker whenever I saw birds feeding. Got a lot of shots of birds I'd never seen around these parts.

Thanks all. I'm hoping for a shot at a better...shot of this bird.

Will Orioles come to a feeder? I used to hang a small bird feeder out on the patio and leave my camera setup outside the screen and use the remote clicker whenever I saw birds feeding. Got a lot of shots of birds I'd never seen around these parts.
I have seen photos of orioles coming to halved oranges.
Niels

Hi, welcome to the forum. Agree with Baltimore Oriole. If it is a Scott’s it would be way out of range. Orioles will come to halved oranges as Niels stated, they will also enjoy grape jelly. There are feeders that will allow you to use both.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back