• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's a bee doing when... (1 Viewer)

Woody

...it flies in circles and settles on a patch of recently disturbed earth, then buries itself, re-emerges, flies off, returns and repeats the process six or seven times?

A friend has asked and I'm not sure of the answer. The bee in question was a 'bumble bee' type with a red rear end. My friend was going to plant a bush where the bee was digging but doesn't want to disturb anything. I suspect that the bee was prospecting for hibernation sites but any advice would be welcome.

Mike

Bumble Bees nest underground, so I would imagine that the bee in question is just visiting its nest but then again I could be way off the mark.

Thanks for the reply Cudyll.

Would the presence of a nest not mean that there would be a lot more activity than a single individual? My friend tells me that she moved a small bush from the site and replanted it elsewhere. I would have expected there to have been a few bees that would have been a bit cheesed off when she did that had there been a nest among the roots? If there is a nest there, what should my friend look for? I'm sure that if there is something there she will not want to disturb anything-She has trouble removing spider webs in case it upsets the little guys!

Mike

If the ground has been recently disturbed then a solitary bee could have lost it's nest entrance in the process, I would expect rather more activity if there were social bees involved. I think it may be too early for looking for hibernation sites.

This being said I've observed quite a lot of 'odd' bee behaviour this year, from solitaries contorting themselves into strange postures to bumblebees determinedly crawling into small spaces, coming out then returning again & again. I wonder whether increased parasite activity could be the cause?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back