• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your National (State, Province, County, etc. Bird? (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

What's your National (State, Province, County, etc.) Bird?

After reading in a recent thread that the Golden Eagle was chosen as Scotland's National Bird, I thought it might be interesting (educational) if find out what birds are the National, State, Province, County, etc. birds that have been selected for the area of the world in which you live. (I could probably research this and find out this information, but I thought it would be fun if members just posted their birds on this thread.)

As many, if not all of you know, the Bald Eagle is the National Bird of the United States. The Eastern Bluebird is the State Bird of Missouri.

Last edited:
"Northern Cardinal" is Ohio's State Bird...I think we share this with 4 or 5 other states.

Mike

The state bird of California is the California Quail, which has yet to join the ranks of my lifelist.

I am originally from Philadelphia, and the state bird of Pennsylvania is the Ruffed Grouse, which I've seen exactly once while on a Boy Scout trip.

I once heard that the National bird for the USA, was almost the Wild Turkey. It lost to the Bald Eagle by just a few votes. It would have been nice to have the National Bird and my favorite beverage named after the same bird.

Mike

The A. Robin is the State bird of CT (yawn) and also of Wisconsin and Michigan - although I know that there was going to be a vote on the Michigan bird (how can you have the robin as a state bird when you host virtually the only breeding site for the Kirtland's warbler - honestly!!!!) I shall now go and see if there has been a result on that vote.

Luke

edit: Can't find anything - anyone know off the top of their heads - I see the chickadee was also in the running - already Maine and Massachussetts bird!!!!

Last edited:
Birds of America
By John James Audubon, F. R. SS. L. & E.

Rhode Island Red

The Rhode Island state bird, the Rhode Island Red, is a domestic bird (chicken) and therefore has no place in Audubon's Birds of America, which is comprised exclusively of wild birds native to North America.

The Editor

If one goes to http://www.50states.com You can get 'em all.
Best,
Pat

New York

New York State's official bird is the Eastern Bluebird, which I have never seen. I have been informed that the peregrine falcon is the official bird of New York City.
For the state bird, I would have chosen a woodpecker: the redbellied woodpecker, an industrious, handsome bird. Perhaps that bird has been used by another state.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Golden Eagle for Scotland? I wouldn't think they'd have more than a couple thousand max.

Here in Alberta it's the Great Horned Owl. It's fairly common and wide spread. With a variety of distinct ecologies it's one of the few birds that's found everywhere in the province. The niche they are found in Alberta can vary from mountains to badlands to boreal forest, etc. They even hang out in urban neighborhoods.

Last edited:
The NWT's is the Gyrfalcon. I like Gyrfalcons and watching them hunt and do their acrobatics. If I had my choice, however, it would be the Raven. Unfortunately the Yukon chose that one first. Then again, Ravens have too much integrity to be anyone's territory bird. Ravens are the boss across the NWT's and they might retaliate by naming humans the territory mammal.

South Africa

Hi

The national bird of South Africa is the Blue Crane. Except for a small population in northern Namibia, this bird only occurs in South Africa.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back