• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where can I see a Kestrel and Kingfisher? (1 Viewer)

ROBL250

I live in a place called Whaley Bridge on the edge of the Peak District, Ive been trying to get a sighting of both a Kestrel and a Kingfisher.
Ive seen Kestrels numerous times on the main motorways farther north, but I understand they live in both Urban and contryside areas.
Where would be the best place to start?, we have a variety of areas from woodlands to countryside, also what kind of call does it make?
Im also after a Kingfisher too, I know people have seen them around the area near the Canal and reservoir so would these places be a good place to look?, I saw a kingfisher once a few days ago, but it was too far away to make a positive ID, and where i saw it was in a private field.
Thanks...
Rob.

I saw my first ever kingfisher in Millersdale.
Kestrels are common -- look for a small bird of prey hovering over a rough grassy field (or motorway verge).
Good luck
Ken

Hi Rob,
I don't live too far from you, being just down the road in Stockport. Now that the rivers in this area have cleaned up over the last few years, your chances of seeing kingfisher are greatly improved. I even saw my first River Mersey kingfisher recently very close to the centre of Stockport!
When I was a youngster growing up in this area I never would have thought it possible for the river to recover to this extent as it was so filthy.

Let us know when you track one down.

Des.

I saw my first "Local" Kestrel today, I was walking along Eccles Pike when I spotted it sitting on top of a tree, I first noticed the size, thinking it was a crow I made sure by getting my Binocs out and taking look, It was 100% a Kestrel, the right size, colour etc.
It flew for about 2 minutes, just hovering there in the air, fan tail sticking out, head down...
It made its way to a tree about 1/4 mile away where it perched for 10 mins, then flew off and disappeared behind some trees...
Im glad I found a local one as I wasnt sure where to be looking, it was chance I spotted it there at that time...
Magnificent bird though, its always been one of my favourites..

Hi Rob

lovely bird the Kestrel. I sometimes see one hovering on my way home from work. I work in East London and I've seen them hovering over the enarby pitch and putt.

Hi Rob

When I first saw this Thread I thought I'd encountered my first alphabetical Twitcher, ....wrong again.
Good luck with the Kingfishers.
P.S. Kingfishers have got to be seen in the sunshine to make them realsightings.

desgreene said:
Hi Rob,
I even saw my first River Mersey kingfisher recently very close to the centre of Stockport!
When I was a youngster growing up in this area I never would have thought it possible for the river to recover to this extent as it was so filthy.
Des.

I can't believe it! Good news indeed and I'll keep a look out next time I'm back. Not sure I want to wander around Merseyway with a pair of Leicas round my neck though ;-)

E
(Stockport born and bred)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back