• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where do the blackbirds go? (1 Viewer)

Hello.
I live in Southwest Wales. We have a large garden and feed all year.Throughout the year we usually have between 1 and 4 blackbirds in the garden at any one time, also when driving the 3 miles to the village along our country lane, it's usual to see plenty of blackbirds.But i've noticed that at this time of the year all the blackbirds dissappear for a few weeks. Where do they go? Do they have a blackbird festival somewhere? thousands of them meeting up in some secret location? !! I'd love to know where they go. Can anyone help?
Mark.

I believe that during the moulting time Blackbirds seem to go into hiding more than any other bird, saying that I have not seen a Starling for about the same time. Perhaps with them being a bigger garden bird they feel and are more vunerable to predators.

Whilst this doesn't explain your current shortfall, one has to remember that despite most guides listing Blackbirds (BLABIs) as resident, a number migrate from their breeding grounds in Scandinavia and northern Europe into the UK for Winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back