• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to Buy Vintage Binoculars in NYC? (1 Viewer)

Slider817

I have been on a vintage Bino kick recently, I just ordered a Zeiss Jenna Diletrinum 8X30, and I would love to try out some more older Binos.

I really don't like purchasing this type of item online, are there any stores in or around New York City that carry vintage binoculars?

I know I can go to every thrift store in town, but optimally I would like to go somewhere with knowledgable staff and decent quality products.

So Frank got to you, too, eh? :)

Sometimes you'll find older bins in the used equipment section of NYC stores Websites, but most are not "vintage," just discontinued models such as a Leica BN.

If you are looking for true vintage binoculars, most of which are porros, the best place to look for them in person is a pawn shop. One of the members has found some nice buys at pawn shops near him.

I think you can trust Frank, you just got to find out his eBay username. :)

Brock

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, some of Franks picks did inspire me, I purchased the Jennas on EBay, I guess I will check out some local Pawn shops.

I do hope there is at least one store in or around NYC with a decent selection.

Thanks

I have no idea about NYC. Pawn shops are certainly options. However, for the best selection and prices, eBay is your best bet. Downside is that you will have a likely 50% rate of purchase that will net a binocular in need of service.

Check around some and see about finding a good local repair source. Lacking that, if I can learn to figure out how to do 90% of what I need done for an outlay of maybe $50.00 in tools, you can too. ;)

Another option is to hit Frank or me with a PM, we probably have one or several we would sell.

I have no idea about NYC. Pawn shops are certainly options. However, for the best selection and prices, eBay is your best bet. Downside is that you will have a likely 50% rate of purchase that will net a binocular in need of service.

Check around some and see about finding a good local repair source. Lacking that, if I can learn to figure out how to do 90% of what I need done for an outlay of maybe $50.00 in tools, you can too. ;)

Another option is to hit Frank or me with a PM, we probably have one or several we would sell.

Thank you very much, I most definetly will be in touch, I will wait on buying anymore vintage Binos till I get a chance to spend some time with the Jennas to develop a baseline.

You might B&H Video. They have a good used optics dept.

Seconded.
I was there today actually. Customer service and selection is unbeatable.

I spend allot of time at B&H, they are a great shop, I will definetly check out their pre-owned department.

While I can only second the positives about B&H's used optics department, it should be clear that this is not primarily oriented at 'vintage' equipment buyers, but rather at clearing older models and returns.
For vintage gear, provided you have ample patience, the on line auction sites still are the best bet, at least imho. The national sites of Ebay sometimes have quite interesting optics that are hard to find in the US (or the Uk for that matter). Just specify paranoid levels of packaging, the German Post in particular takes it as its duty to stress test any optics package entrusted to its care.

Also consider Craigslist and estate sales. Do searches on both "binocular" and "binoculars" when using Craigslist.

You might also consider local Goodwill stores. Several of us had/have been hitting shopgoodwill.com . I had no idea there was actually a local goodwill in my area until I accidentally came upon it when organizing a local birding trip.

As for my selling vintage porros....the ones I have left I plan to keep. I sold many of them over the last month or so on Ebay. I have a large box filled with vintage porros right now that I am planning on putting up as a "group sale" simply because they all have some type of issue with them...mostly collimation.

Sorry I could not help more but I am glad to see that others are going back and revisiting some of these excellent models.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back