• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see Peregrines in Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

malskelton

Enthusiastic Amateur
England
Hi there

My title pretty much sums up my question :t:

I'm a self confessed raptor fan, and have managed to see quite a few different ones on my travels - but the main one that has eluded me for so long is my beloved Peregrine.

I was wondering if there were any sites where I was guaranteed to see one, RSPB perhaps, because it is my main birding goal for 2006.

The reason I limited it to Yorkshire is that my ability to travel great distances for the sole purpose of birding has been curtailed by a number of factors ( number one being I am currently sporting a knee brace so driving is very difficult ).

Any help or recommendations would be awesome, I am desperate to see my favourite bird in the wild

Thanks

Mal Skelton

bobwoodcock said:
There's a lovely restaurant next to the stream for cream teas as well on the road to the RSPB post

Guys

Thanks so much for the responses, this is exactly the kinda site I was hoping for - the chance of the Little Owls too would be fantastic.

What time of year would you recommend ? I was thinking April / early May but that might just be because I'm too eager to get over there.

Thanks

Mal Skelton

malskelton said:
Guys

Thanks so much for the responses, this is exactly the kinda site I was hoping for - the chance of the Little Owls too would be fantastic.

What time of year would you recommend ? I was thinking April / early May but that might just be because I'm too eager to get over there.

Thanks

Mal Skelton

I have volunteered to man the Peregrine Watch site at Malham on some week days from April through to July. I have yet to be informed by RSPB what date in April the site will be open. I will post occasional reports on BF when I take up my volunteer duties. Let's hope they breed this year :)

When Winnie the Pooh and Piglet wanted to trap a Heffalump, they decided the best place to dig a trap was just where the Heffalump was, but a few feet in front of it.

I guess the best place to go to see Peregrines is just where the Peregrine is, but start looking just before it gets there.

er . . . . I'm not being much help am I . . . . .

(seriously though - good luck with it)

showaddy said:
When Winnie the Pooh and Piglet wanted to trap a Heffalump, they decided the best place to dig a trap was just where the Heffalump was, but a few feet in front of it.

I guess the best place to go to see Peregrines is just where the Peregrine is, but start looking just before it gets there.

er . . . . I'm not being much help am I . . . . .

(seriously though - good luck with it)

Mmmmmmmm

Mal,

Sightings of 2 Peregrines on Scarborough Castle headland cliffs last month, I know for a fact there were 3 birds there all of last summer - viewing easy from Marine Drive, the road that runs between North and South bays here.

Mal
Visiting Scarborough last Saturday 25th and a single Peregrine was perched on the cliffs above Marine Drive most of the afternoon, making occasional flights along the cliff. Wonderful sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back