• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (12 Viewers)

Binocollector

Germany
I thought this might be a fun thread. I got inspired to start it by similar threads in watch forums that say "what are you wearing today?". The rules are simple. You have to post a pic of the bino(s) you are using today. You could write a sentence or two why you use this one or why you like it. But a pic with no text will do just fine. But please include the model and maker unless it is clearly visible on the pic.
I'll start -- I am using a "Hanseat" 8x30 which is actually a Hartmann Porlerim in disguise. I cleaned this one myself as unfortunately all the old Hartmanns I bought so far had hazy prisms.
But after cleaning it, it offers some stunning views. Very sharp in the middle, very bright -- of all the old porros I have, Hartmanns have the best coatings for sure. That's why I have more than one.
img08tff5.jpg

img1yli34.jpg

img2s1flj.jpg

You guys are supposed to post pictures of the bino you used 📷. That was the whole reason for the thread :D 👀. I wanted to see nice actual, real life pictures of the binoculars everybody uses. :geek:
I'll repeat the rules for the thread:
The rules are simple. You have to post a pic of the bino(s) you are using today. You could write a sentence or two why you use this one or why you like it. But a pic with no text will do just fine. But please include the model and maker unless it is clearly visible on the pic.

Last edited:
This morning before work I went to a couple spots in town with my recently acquired Swaro CL 8x30. It’s the original version and it came with the updated case which was included with units produced in the last year of its run, 2016. I prefer the updated case over the previous clamshell style case.

I’ve always liked the original CL. I like the design, ergonomics, simple diopter and reliability. It also seems to have more usable eye relief for me compared to the new CL-b. I like how whites look bright and brilliant and really like the colors in the image overall.

Attachments

• FA27CFD0-0F23-4D7E-95D8-F55DD56FC752.jpeg
    FA27CFD0-0F23-4D7E-95D8-F55DD56FC752.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 8CC5E4B6-1DEF-4527-88CC-E641972D199A.jpeg
    8CC5E4B6-1DEF-4527-88CC-E641972D199A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Testing these out today and comparing them to my eii 😁
Curious to know your thoughts (especially of you're able to measure the FOV). Everyone I've heard from has said the FOV is overstated but I measured it to actually be on spec which is wild (although the outermost portion doesn't convey much information).

Curious to know your thoughts (especially of you're able to measure the FOV). Everyone I've heard from has said the FOV is overstated but I measured it to actually be on spec which is wild (although the outermost portion doesn't convey much information).
Hi, yes the fov is impressive, I cannot measure it but it certainly looks nearly double of the eii, isn't it 255m? softening starts at around 70% on my sample, it's a usable binocular and one for the glove box, you get your £60 worth and that's it, Glass is pleasant to look through, fairly sharp. I prefer it with the eyecups in.
Wish they'd have put a bit more effort into it tbh

I thought this might be a fun thread. I got inspired to start it by similar threads in watch forums that say "what are you wearing today?". The rules are simple. You have to post a pic of the bino(s) you are using today. You could write a sentence or two why you use this one or why you like it. But a pic with no text will do just fine. But please include the model and maker unless it is clearly visible on the pic.
I'll start -- I am using a "Hanseat" 8x30 which is actually a Hartmann Porlerim in disguise. I cleaned this one myself as unfortunately all the old Hartmanns I bought so far had hazy prisms.
But after cleaning it, it offers some stunning views. Very sharp in the middle, very bright -- of all the old porros I have, Hartmanns have the best coatings for sure. That's why I have more than one.
img08tff5.jpg

img1yli34.jpg

img2s1flj.jpg
Vortex

Nice! That was what I had hoped for! I think I never saw an actual real life picture of the SF 8x32. And the photoshopped product pics are just not the same. Thanks!
Hello Phillip,

Neither on the Zeiss web site nor on vendor web sites do yo see the thin lanyard on the right of my picture, post #10, what I would call the port side of the binocular. It tethers the objective cover to the binocular, which is unique. The cover is one piece and is held by friction to the inside of the barrels. I did not see instructions on using the lanyard, which has a connector, so l looped one part to the strap lug; looped the other part to the objective cover and connected them.
In the picture I attach, this might be clearer. Also note that the padded neck strap has a very understated Zeiss logo.Zeiss SF II.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Users who are viewing this thread

Back