• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Bird do you Least Like? (1 Viewer)

Mallards. I like the natural ones that look like normal mallards, but the creepy color changed ones bug me.

"Ooh! Is that new bird?!"
*Takes Picture*
*Puts on BirdForum*
"It's a Mallard..."
"Oh."

Try telling that to the Peregrines that live in my local town centre. They certainly have a use for them ;)

I would personally like to nominate the Wood Pigeon. You know how us birders can't help but look up every time we see a bird fly out from a nearby tree? It's just habit. Well I think about 50% of my time in the countryside is spent thinking "Oh.......it's a Wood Pigeon" They are responsible for more disappointment than any other bird.

In fact if anyone out there can find a way of making me interested in them, it would revolutionise my life.

Quite like Woodpigeons,even though they can fox you at times when you think you have spotted a raptor. Personally I think they must be the most overlooked bird in the UK/Ireland.

As for Feral Pigeons as cannon fodder for Peregrines, Well I hadn't thought of that one.:-O

I don't particularly like gulls. At least there's only one species to ignore here (if you don't count the long-staying Laughing Gull...)

I've seen very many pictures of cormorants lately, and I'm convinced that they're the ugliest birds out there. My main interest is beautiful bids, so I have to say that the cormorants are my most hated birds |:D|

They're noisy, reaching plague proportions around here (SW London) and non-native.

On the one hand I admire their sucess, on the other I fear their impact on other species, especially hole-nesters. Coming from Gloucestershire (no parakeets) to London (swarms of them) I've noticed several things over the last few years of watching the unstoppable rise of the parakeet:

1) Parkland that in gloucestershire I'd expect to be busy with many species is often relatively empty of the birds I feel the habitat should support but filled with parrots (Richmond Park would be a case in point). I do accept though that there may be many other reasons for this and would be interested to know what anyone else thinks on this one.

2) Having noticed in winter how the parakeets seem to feed almost exclusively on tree buds I'm beginning to notice many trees in the parks with dead upper branches devoid of leaves in the summer; precisely on those high branches I've seen the parakeets tend to feed on. I've never seen tree damage like this before in areas without parakeets and suspect it is due to them.

I worry about the impact these birds are going to have especially as they spread beyond suburban London. I think that although they are quite fun and beautiful to watch their impact on the environment may not be benign.

Tom

I have to agree with Toms sentiments. Introduced species that could eventually see the displacement of our own flora or fauna should be a real cause for concern. A lovely bird....in its true home!

I'm not a big David Crosby fan either. Though he can harmonize. That whole 'Drug and Gun' thing.

Eight Miles High. Christ, what on earth were the birds oops sorry, The Byrds on when they wrote that song. :smoke:

Appologies here folks. Getting side tracked again as I so often do.

It's natures way of telling you somethings wrong - Spirit.

Whether they be Japanese White-eyes in Hawaii, Mute Swans in New Jersey, or Eurasian Starlings in North America, I don't like any introduced species that is detrimental to native birds and ecosystems.

Canada Geese (vermin, noisy, plague proportions, non-native, etc, etc). On a lighter note, don't much like the territorial Robins or Stonechats that chase away a half-interesting phyllosc before you've had a proper look!

My vote here in Brighton goes to the Herring Gull. They nest in chimney stacks in the neighbourhood and can become seriously aggressive towards the local human population. And the screeching.....:-C

At my house, my least favorite birds are the House Sparrows. You will see 100 HOSP for every five songbirds. We also have several flocks of Starlings, but at least they don't eat me out of house and home at the feeders like the HOSPs.

Dippers.

They do not really exist. They were created to frustrate birders in field guide pictures.

i have been saying the same thing about the bittern and water rail for years. but i saw a dipper lst week so i know they exist.

my least favourite bird (the only one i get close to not liking ) is the cormorant.

Don't really dislike any bird but Wood Pigeons get my goat.

best ever non bird of prey that practices looking like one. As if you'd get hawks in the UK perched on every single roadside lamp post - but it's the way they perch.

As for House Sparrows, I don't know what you did to them in the States but our local ones, just returning from near local extinction, and only eat seeds and insects, are fun to watch especially their fights or 'bundles' in the garden hedges.

cormorants do me head in sometimes, i see them below my flat from the balcony window when there close i dont mind its when there just far enough away to trick you into thinking they might be something else i get up off the sofa to fetch some bins and alas another bloody cormorant

Dippers.

They do not really exist. They were created to frustrate birders in field guide pictures.

By that standard, my least-favourite bird would be the Snowcap! Lots of people (including authoritative ornithologists - and my OH) claim to have seen them, but I still think they're making it all up ... all those photos are easily enough explained by Photoshop ...

Actually, I love all birds, but would echo Birdingcraft's sentiment that a bird out of place can be (and usually is) a bad thing; around here, it's the Mute Swan. Have to hold my breath and count to ten every time I hear people talking about how "lovely" they are...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back