• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Swarovski Scope? (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Within the ATX range, does the jump from 25x60 85mm to 30x70 95mm make a significant improvement when sea-watching, or indeed is the 85mm a better option? For example, I don't know the field of view and it may be the 85 is better.

I don't want the 65mm and I think the 115mm may be a bit big, so I'm thinking it's between the 85 and 95mm.

Thanks.

I really didn't like the 95 with the zoom for seawatching and switched down to the 85 - much better as you have a wider field (and you can rarely use x70 on a seawatch anyway). But now I use the BTX on the 95 for serious seawatching. As a friend said, it's so relaxing you could almost nod off 😂.

I now use the 85/zoom when I'm walking or cycling around my patch. They are the perfect pair for general birding for me - not too heavy, and they just seem to really gel optically in a way that (for me) the 95 and zoom didn't.

The 115 needs a wheelbarrow...

I too went for the 95 BTX as its very relaxing to use and I have never used a zoom for seawatching. I have never regretted it. The binocular effect is said to increase the 35x mag to a perceived 40x . I even lugged it to the Cape Verdes a couple of months ago and it paid off well with 4 to 5 Black-capped Petrels. I would definitely have missed some with my old scope. I've also found it much easier to see storm petrels off Cornwall where before I missed many that were called by watchers around me. In fact it was failing to get on a Wilson's that persuaded me to upgrade.

Regards Howard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back