• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which trap? (1 Viewer)

If you have a look on the ALS website there is a guide to the various bulbs. It says that the 160W blended bulb catches about the same amount as a 80W MV bulb but it runs a lot hotter and is more prone to breaking

As Jamie says, the 160w blended runs hotter than a 125w mv and they certainly do break,very loudly, if rain hits them !

Damian

That is why i put a jar over them but a small amount of rain and there fine but is best to cover them straight away,i don't leave them unattended without covering them
Regards Richard

Hi
I started out last year Mothing with a MBT 160w Bulb and I have been through about 3 bulbs already.
Probably due to my carelessness but they do crack badly if even a drop of water lands on the surface of the bulb.
I now use an up-turned fat ball bucket to shield the bulb from the rain and it works brilliantly.
Catches I can't really compare to much else but I managed over 300 species from my garden in my first year, numbers weren't high, most in a night was in the 130 specimens region and averaged in summer about 40 moths, plenty to be getting on with!

Hi
I started out last year Mothing with a MBT 160w Bulb and I have been through about 3 bulbs already.
Probably due to my carelessness but they do crack badly if even a drop of water lands on the surface of the bulb.
I now use an up-turned fat ball bucket to shield the bulb from the rain and it works brilliantly.
Catches I can't really compare to much else but I managed over 300 species from my garden in my first year, numbers weren't high, most in a night was in the 130 specimens region and averaged in summer about 40 moths, plenty to be getting on with!

Yes you can say that is down to carelessness and are you using a skinner trap which would explane you low counts,they will be getting back out if left unattended as i can catch 130 Large Yellow Underwings in a night but i use a Robinsons type trap for the garden so i can go to bed because it is harder for them to get back out but some still manage it.Anyway looking forward to this year roll on warmer nights ;)
Regards Richard

Has anyone any experience of the Robinson 125 trap shown on Bioqup?
http://www.bioquip.net/acatalog/insects_moth_traps.html
Are they a reliable supplier?
Ken

Hi Ken,

A good friend of mine has this trap and they are very good, the only slight problem is the top bulb shield sometimes blowing off in strong winds. So may have to way it down with something if running on a windy night. I would say by the volume of the base this trap is capable of holding as many moths as the Wat-Don Robinson trap and a bit cheaper to.

Regards,

Barry Hunt.

Hi Ken,

A good friend of mine has this trap and they are very good, the only slight problem is the top bulb shield sometimes blowing off in strong winds. So may have to way it down with something if running on a windy night. I would say by the volume of the base this trap is capable of holding as many moths as the Wat-Don Robinson trap and a bit cheaper to.

Regards,

Barry Hunt.

thanks, Barry. Even with my old trap I had to put a slate on top of the rainshield on windy nights.
Ken

Yes I have reworked mine into a Robinson type with a larger funnel which has been spray painted black to stop the moths 'seeing the light again' once in the trap!
I was debating with myself how large I should make the entry to the trap from the funnel, so I measured roughly to an Old Lady, Red Underwing, Privet Hawk size, taking into account the length and breadth of their wings.

Its all an experiment when you build your own and its made it alot of fun.

Last edited:
Yes I have reworked mine into a Robinson type with a larger funnel which has been spray painted black to stop the moths 'seeing the light again' once in the trap!
I was debating with myself how large I should make the entry to the trap from the funnel, so I measured roughly to an Old Lady, Red Underwing, Privet Hawk size, taking into account the length and breadth of their wings.

Its all an experiment when you build your own and its made it alot of fun.

I admire your enterprise. I just don't trust my DIY skills (and I'd have to spend money on tools as well as parts), so I've ordered one from Bioquip. It came to c£250 which is a lot of money but hopefully it will last me for many years.
Ken

I got the Robinson yesterday. By the time I got home from work and had it assembled it was about 8 pm but I ran it for three hours and got five moths, so at least I've christened it! It's huge compared with my previous trap. I could put whole egg trays in it. It has a drainage hole at the base, something I could have done with previously. I'm not sure I got the vanes in quite right, they seemed a bit reluctant to stay in place, so I'll have to work on that.
Ken

I got the Robinson yesterday. By the time I got home from work and had it assembled it was about 8 pm but I ran it for three hours and got five moths, so at least I've christened it! It's huge compared with my previous trap. I could put whole egg trays in it. It has a drainage hole at the base, something I could have done with previously. I'm not sure I got the vanes in quite right, they seemed a bit reluctant to stay in place, so I'll have to work on that.
Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these traps. A couple of questions if you do not mind. Is the bulb holder a bayonet or a screw fix type? And how long did the trap take to arrive after your order?

Nice moths too.

Regards,

Barry.

Hi, Barry,
The trap has a screw-type bulb. The trap was ordered at the weekend and arrived on Wed. It has no instructions with it, but apart from struggling a bit to work out which way up the vanes go, I had no problems getting it up and running.
I caught 14 moths last night, which I was quite pleased with considering that the temp fell away quickly at nightfall.
Ken

Hi, Barry,
The trap has a screw-type bulb. The trap was ordered at the weekend and arrived on Wed. It has no instructions with it, but apart from struggling a bit to work out which way up the vanes go, I had no problems getting it up and running.
I caught 14 moths last night, which I was quite pleased with considering that the temp fell away quickly at nightfall.
Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll spending out!

Regards,

Barry.

Hi, Angus, I think that the theory is that you empty the trap before the sun warms up!
I am not convinced that painting the funnel makes much difference... the idea of the egg boxes is so that the moths can get out of the light.
Ken

Hi, Angus, I think that the theory is that you empty the trap before the sun warms up!
Well if one has many traps on, one doesn't get round to sort them all by sunrise. Quite often I'd seal off all the traps at dawn, but then it could take couple hours sorting, by then sun is well up. Also at home I don't empty trap, I keep moths in them and open trap in evening. This I find best way to protect them from the resident birds AND my hens!! In summer I find it hard to find a place away from the sun which rises in NE and sets in NW. I may even paint inside of trap white as well. I did this with homemade traps and I find it far easier to see the contents, though it does get grubby looking as the wait shows up the dirt, but even after 2 years, its still white.

I sprayed the top of my trap and funnel matt black, so when the moths go in the trap they don't get attrracted to the light again, thus flying off! it seems to work a dream.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back