• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which warbler species? (1 Viewer)

gholamhosseini

Hi
Would you please help me in identification of these warblers? (attached files from S Iran)
Thanks in advance
Best wishes

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 112
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 132
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
I’m thinking Eastern Olivaceous Warbler for 1 and 2, will condider 4 and 5, suffice to say image 3 is a Lesser Whitethroat..and what a stunner! as to ssp I don’t know.

Cheers

No idea on species - I’m not that good - but agree with Ken lesser white throat is fabulous as is the pic :)

Going back to images 4-5, I’m wondering if 4 is another Eastern Olivaceous and 5 is a Blackstart?

Cheers

I think we have to consider Sykes's for nos. 1 & 4 in this location. No.1 could be Eastern Olivaceous - the primary projection looks a little too long for Sykes's, the flight feathers seem darker than the rest of the wing and the primary tips are pale. On the other hand, the habitat - open thorny scrub - looks a little better for Sykes's. I wouldn't like to say which no.4 is. No.2 has just too long and heavy a bill for Sykes's, I think.

No.5 does indeed look like Spotted Flycatcher.

Gholam, can you let us know the exact location and the kind of habitat?

1, 2 and 4 are Eastern Olivaceous Warblers for me - pp too long for Sykes's. Agree with Lesser Whitethroat complex and Spotted Flycatcher

Thanks all
Habitat for picture 1 and 2: mountainous area with many hills, thorny scrub and scattered trees on hills.
Habitat for picture 3,4 ,5: woody area surrounded by two mountains range (for 3 and 4 several kinds of tree and for 5 only Quercus; Zagros oak)

Best Regards

Might I suggest Upcher's?
Indeed, after another look pic 1 does look more like an Upcher's (e.g. uneven tertial spacing), pic 2 should possibly better left unidentified, pic 4 still looks more EOW

Is Red-breasted Flycatcher a possibility for number 5?
I would say no, RBF would e.g. show a pale eye ring, distinct pale tipped tertials, darker uppertail coverts...

Might I suggest Upcher's?
Yes, I must admit Upcher's is possible for no.1. I hadn't considered this species. Looking again, the pronounced pale wing panel contrasting to the darker primaries, contrasting dark centres to the tertials and a rather broad tail, becoming darker to the rear, point to this species.

I don't think no.2 is Upcher's, but agree with Roland that it's not really identifiable.

No.4 could possibly be Upcher's - there's a pale wing panel, the tertials are broad with pale edges and the tail has noticeable white edges. However, the supercilium looks too long and I can't rule out Eastern Olivaceous for this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back