• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White duck - Stavanger, Norway, March 2023 (2 Viewers)

AndyS56

I saw this on a large pond in central Stavanger. All I can trace is a domestic (Pekin) duck. Is that right? It was with some Mallards and Tufted ducks should that help.

TIA

Andy

Attachments

• 564A9444.jpg
    564A9444.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 14
It is not a Pekin duck -wing size to body size is more like wild mallard. In Pekin duck and other large domestic breeds the wings are proportionally too small´, as wing size didn´t grow at the same rate as body size in the domestication process.

But it is most likely that this has domestic duck genes, as other mallard color mutations. However, you'll never be able to exclude a color mutation of a wild mallard or a wild x domestic mallard cross from a photo, if the birds body proportions are like in wild mallard.

Given the scarcity of color mutations in other, non domesticated ducks , I would say the vast majority of color abberations in mallard is due to domestic duck genes.

Last edited:
Hi Andy, I think I saw a couple of these on Store Stokkevannet on Sunday, and as others have already said I noted them as domestic ducks. I’ve not seen them in that spot before though, although a mandarin duck was there in the past. If this is the same location then keep looking because as well as the more usual species I’ve also seen little grebe and rail at very close distance from the bridge so it’s a spot worth checking where you can get close to lots of nice wild birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back