• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Headed Duck and Marsh Owl (1 Viewer)

exedchef

I am planning a trip to Morocco in September 2019 - mostly Atlas Mountains and Desert but I wonder what my chances of White headed Duck and Marsh Owl would be if I was to drive North West from Marrakech? I have had a look at sightings on eBird but I am not certain that I can get to the correct area. TIA

The best area for White-headed Duck is Sidi Boughaba and the best for Marsh Owl is Merja Zerga. The former is pretty easy to do and the birds should be viewable from roads. The Marsh Owls take a bit more work and it can be complicated to get to the areas where the birds might be because there's a maze of tracks that aren't generally marked on any maps. It would probably be easiest to hire a guide for that species. It would be a bit of a long drive out from Marrakech to these areas so it would make sense to stay a night in that area, particularly as you'd be looking for the owl in the evening.

Try observation.org for Merja Zerga. When we went there, the guide was actually hanging around, and it was hard to avoid being guided by him. Which was actually OK, he showed us Marsh Owls very close.

Just what I wanted to know - thank you both!
Just out of interest Jurek - roughly how much ought I to pay a guide for the owls ?
Thanks again
Ed

I don't remember, basically he asked some acceptable price (by Moroccan price level) and we paid him. He also invited us for a dinner and offered us to sleep in his house. However we would see the owl anyway. The guide knew the exact place, but it was the place where observado.org showed most sightings. It is an open lakeside with fields coming to a broad reedbed, and walking on these fields you would see the owl flying over the reedbed.

Last edited:
The guide’s name is Hmida Hammouradia, telephone number is tel:+212 20668492479. He speaks no English and only moderate French. Making arrangements with him takes a certain degree of resourcefulness and flexibility. However he is a lovely guy and knows exactly where to go to find the owls.
White headed ducks are easy at the north (causeway) end of lac de sidi bourghaba as already said.
James

The guide’s name is Hmida Hammouradia, telephone number is tel:+212 20668492479. He speaks no English and only moderate French. Making arrangements with him takes a certain degree of resourcefulness and flexibility. However he is a lovely guy and knows exactly where to go to find the owls.
James

I agree with James. Hmida only know very little of European languages, but he know what he is doing. Over the years, he has been visited by large number of Moroccan researchers (e.g. during waterbirds census,...) and birders as well as by foreign birders. If you stay at his house-turned-hostel you can see this is the 'guest-books'.

His house is marked in Google Maps as Auberge Hammouradia. See: https://goo.gl/maps/aKrdLBQskc9cuZ5L8

Last March, GREPOM/BirdLife Morocco and the Forestry Administration paid tribute to him in recognition for his services to Merja Zerga during a conference about wetlands organised at Kenitra.

As for the White-headed Duck, Sidi Boughaba is very good. Merja Fouwarate, a little-known urban wetland adjacent to Kenitra is also good. In addition to the small breeding population, the site receives large numbers of wintering birds (very large numbers during some years, e.g. 1430 individuals in January 2018, which is a big percentage of the Morocco-Iberian population).

The wetland is marked as Merja Si Ali Bouchta in Google Maps (I don’t know why). See: https://goo.gl/maps/MSfyPwwWgq3CTURB9

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back