• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Wagtail (Motacilla alba leucopsis)? (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
I have googled and there seems to have different variant species of this. Need double confirm incase I got this wrong as White Wagtail (Motacilla alba leucopsis). Thanks.

Taken at Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village, Taiwan, Feb 2020.

resize_PIC-20200211-134913-DSC01855t.jpg

resize_PIC-20200211-135020-DSC01865t.jpg

resize_PIC-20200211-135315-DSC01879t.jpg

resize_PIC-20200211-135331-DSC01883t.jpg

Of cours white wagtail but IMO ssp. leucopsis (as you wrote). I only know eastern wagtails from photos, bird guide, but what else could it be?
Regards, Michał

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin.

The scientific name should be "Motacilla alba leucopsis" or "Motacilla alba" ? Because I saw some just write without "leucopsis". Which is more correct?

Both are correct. Including the name leucopsis just adds more detail.
Motacilla alba (White Wagtail) is the species name, which includes multiple subspecies ranging from western Europe across to eastern Asia. This subspecies is Motacilla alba leucopsis (sometimes called Amur Wagtail), which occurs in the eastern part of the range, including Taiwan.

Both are correct. Including the name leucopsis just adds more detail.
Motacilla alba (White Wagtail) is the species name, which includes multiple subspecies ranging from western Europe across to eastern Asia. This subspecies is Motacilla alba leucopsis (sometimes called Amur Wagtail), which occurs in the eastern part of the range, including Taiwan.

Thank you very much John. That is great details explaination.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back