• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who do I believe - Leica Trinovid HD versus Zeiss Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

tpcollins

I’ve narrowed my choice down to these two. One online review had 6 (non-expert) testers and they chose the Zeiss. A birding review rated the Leica a bit higher.

The Zeiss does have the T* coatings but I have the Leica Ultravid 8x20 so I’m familiar with their quality as well. Just trying to decide which one I’d be happier with. Anyone have experience with both of these bins? Thanks.

Anyone have experience with both of these bins?
Yes. They each go about doing things a bit differently, but one is not better than the other. The only way you will know which one is better for you is to try them out. I would recommend buying both from a place with a good return policy, and send back the one you decide against.

The good news is, there isn't a loser at their particular price point.

"I’ve compared these two similar binoculars throughout this review. To summarise, I preferred the view through the Conquests: a little brighter, wider, sharper off axis and more immersive. But in terms of weight, size, handling and build quality, the Leica’s win the day. Which you choose would come down to personal preferences and perhaps current discounts."

quote from http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/ZeissConquest10x42HD.htm

I've had 8x42s side by side for a few weeks, and settled on Trini. Slightly sharper, warmer colors, and better overall build.
YMMV, yada yada yada

In most direct confrontations on trustworthy reviews on the net, the Conquest stand out as a winner in important optical categories:
1 light transmission - The measured light transmission is obviously higher at Zeiss Conquest even compared to the more expensive Ultravid !!!
2 clarity on the edges - The resolution is higher on the edges than Trinovid HD, although Conquest obviously has a wider FOV !!!
3 a greater eye relief, good for all spectacle wearers.

In my opinion, the only advantages of Trinovid HD vs Conquest is:
1 the quality of the finishes and more compact and stylish design !!!
2 close focus 1.75m vs 2.2m.
3 a possible subjective color preferences (warmer colors).

CA, Glare, Distorsion, Central Resolution all they are very similar, so we can say they are almost the same !!!

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/ZeissConquest10x42HD.htm
but also many others

As the other colleagues very well said, the choice is subjective and depends on personal preferences !!!

On the other hand what Chill6x6 asked is very pertinent!

I have both Conquest HD 8x32 and Trinovid HD 8x32 and use them both. For perceived sharpness there is nothing to choose between them. To my eyes the Conquest has a more pleasing clarity to the view than the Leica but this is a very personal and subjective opinion. However 3 things definitely separate the two models.

The Conquest has a noticeably faster focus. It is about 30% faster and I find this extremely useful in habitats where there can be a subject very close to me in one moment and then one in the distance and then another one close-by. In habitats rich in species I find I don't miss out by having to pump at the focus wheel to focus from near to far and then back again.

The Leica wins out on close focus because although the Conquest can focus down to 1.5 metres, in practice both me and Troubadoris find our Trinovids can focus to 1 metre and so in some habitats this is very useful.

The Conquest has a big advantage of fov. Its fov is 140m (420ft) whereas the Trinovid's is 124m (372ft) so the fov area of the Conquest is 27% bigger.

Good luck with your choice.

Lee

I have both Conquest HD 8x32 and Trinovid HD 8x32 and use them both. <snip>
The Conquest has a big advantage of fov. Its fov is 140m (420ft) whereas the Trinovid's is 124m (372ft) so the fov area of the Conquest is 27% bigger.
With regard to these two 8x32s, the difference in the FOV is the killer. 124m/1000 isn't really good enough nowadays unless the optics are top notch. And optically I can't see much difference between the Conquest and the Trinovid.

I much prefer the design of the Trinovid and its slower focuser, but given the difference in the FOV I'd always go for the Conquest.

Hermann

I really wish Leica hadn’t handicapped the FOV of the 8x32, I wonder if they did that to maintain differentiation from the Ultravid? Such a shame because in many other respects it’s a killer mid level 8x32. But a FOV barely squeaking past 7 degrees just isn’t competitive in a price bracket that includes not only the Zeiss, but also the Genesis and the Meostar which are all right around 8 degrees.

I know Leica rarely leads the pack in FOV but they couldn’t even wring out 7.5 degrees? It would be one thing if it was a tiny/light model where compromises were made to make it small, but it’s a pretty chunky 32mm that weighs almost 650g.

That and the 58mm minimum IPD (a stat in which Leica typically excels) are frustrating flaws in a product that seems very strong in most other respects.

So I noticed you all ready HAVE an FL 8X42. What are you wanting a new binocular to do that it won't?
Actually, I sold those long ago and bought the same Zeiss Victory in the 8x32. Then I thought I should start unloading some of my toys so my wife has the money in the savings account instead of having to deal with them - and I just sold the Zeiss Victory T* FL 8x32 recently for $50 more than I paid for them 8 years ago - the guy really must have wanted them!

Feeling a bit of remorse, I just bought a like new pair of Leica Trinovid H 8x42 at a bargain - so much for staying with a compact size. :rolleyes:

Congratulations, it's a very nice binocular. I like the design, build quality, and warmer colors.

A few years ago I tested both binoculars (10x42) Trinovid HD / Conquest HD before buying one of them.

Reasons to buy Trinovid HD
-warmer colors
-smooth focusser without slack
-ergonomical
-cheaper

Reasons not to buy Trinovid HD
-Less light transmission
-Narrower visual field
-I experienced more veiling glare when looking to a bright sky.

I bought Conquest HD, but if I didn't notice the veiling glare, the Trinovid HD was the best choice for me.

The Leica wins out on close focus because although the Conquest can focus down to 1.5 metres, in practice both me and Troubadoris find our Trinovids can focus to 1 metre and so in some habitats this is very useful.
Just curious, how are you looking at birds 3 ft away?

Just curious, how are you looking at birds 3 ft away?
My goodness querty, there is much more to observing nature than only birds! I use my Trinovids (and the close-focusing Zeiss 6x18 monocular) for looking at too many things to list here so here is just a brief flavour: dragonflies, butterflies, inter-tidal marine life in rock-pools, flowers, lichens. reptiles. Why don't you try it?

Lee

Regardless of the potential optical difference, the conquest is built like a tank....mine had a drop of est. 4 m onto a steel surface ( don’t ask!) dented the steel and scuffed the eyecup but otherwise all good.
Dead right James, my Conquest has had more than a few knocks and bumps while clambering on rocks in Scotland and the south of France although I haven't tried out the 4m drop yet. Conquest HD 8x32 is one of my all-time favourite binos.

Lee

My goodness querty, there is much more to observing nature than only birds! I use my Trinovids (and the close-focusing Zeiss 6x18 monocular) for looking at too many things to list here so here is just a brief flavour: dragonflies, butterflies, inter-tidal marine life in rock-pools, flowers, lichens. reptiles. Why don't you try it?

Lee
Ah, ok I assumed you weren't looking at birds, I just needed to know your secret if you were luring birds 3 ft away;). I'm not much of an insect person, I prefer vertebrates.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back