• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

who dunnit ? (1 Viewer)

We found a freshly killed woodpigeon with a pile of feathers around it feeding on it was a large bird about the size of a Buzzard with fingered wings. Odd things was this was a woodland path somewhere between Guildford and Horsham in Surrey. Any suggestions!!

Sparrowhawk would be most likely i'd think,size is always the most difficult thing to judge but if it was Buzzard size then maybe Goshawk is possible or of course it could have been a Buzzard but if so perhaps a bit more likely it would just be feeding on an already dead bird,that said i'm sure a Buzzard would be capable of catching a Pigeon even if they dont make a habit of it.

Hi Ben,

Buzzard do catch woodpigeons live, though I am still wishing I could see it. As someone said it could be on a bird that was already dead, perhaps killed by a sparrowhawk. Female sparrowhawks catch woodpigeons. Indeed Ian Newton estimated pigeons (of all kinds) might form much more than half the food of females (which are much larger than males), by weight. It is possible that a buzzard would chase a sparrowhawk off.

While buzzard are now associated with open country, apparently they were originally woodland birds. They have adapted to open country because humankind has stripped almost all the woodland in the UK. Adapt or suffer ! I see them in small patches of wood regularly, and they seem well adapted to nipping between the trees, even where dense.

Goshawk should be a good possibility, but there are not many places with anything like a decent population of goshawk. Is it really likely in your area ?

Mike.

Just cannot see and never heard of buzzard catching live wood pigeon. Sparrowhawks(female) all the time when on the ground. sparrowhawk takes the juicy parts away because it can't carry the whole bird. Buzzard mops up the leftovers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back