• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is the Spanish Imperial Eagle named after? (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi everyone,

I am curious about the origin of the scientific name of the Spanish Imperial Eagle - Aquila adalberti.

According to the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names, by James A. Jobling, the name was given after Prince Heinrich Wilhelm Adalbert of Prussia (1811-1873).
http://www.slideshare.net/mahmoudghonim/helm-dictionary-of-scientific-bird-names

However, according to Wikipedia, "the binomial commemorates Prince Adalbert of Bavaria" (1828–1875).
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_imperial_eagle

Both Princes lived during the same period of time and as far as I could find none of them had a special interest in nature, biology or ornithology.

Does anybody know which is the "right" Prince?

Thanks.
Gonçalo

Here is written:

Dieser, der Prinzenadler, wie wir ihn nennen dürfen, da er seinen Namen zu Ehren des Prinzen Adalbert von Bayern trägt (Aquila adalberti und leucolena), erst im Jahre 1860 von meinem Bruder Reinhold in Spanien entdeckt, unterscheidet sich vom Kaiseradler....

But of couse it is not the original description by Christian Ludwig Brehm in Versammlung der Deutschen Ornithologen-Gesellschaft zu Stuttgart vom 17. bis 20. September 1860. But as Alfred Edmund Brehm is the son of CL Brehms I think Adalbert from Bavaria is reliable.

P.S. James Jobling corrected it already in HBW Alive here.

Last edited:
Gonçalo,
Martin points us in the right direction. My current MS and entry in HBWAlive Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology reads:

adalberti Adalbert Wilhelm Georg Ludwig Prince of Bavaria (1828-1875) son of Ludwig I King of Bavaria and husband to Amalia del Pilar Infanta of Spain (Aquila).

The HBWAlive Key is a natural successor to my Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991) and Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011), both valuable references based on information then current, and all reflecting the progress of ornithophilology in nearly 25 years. For the most up-to-date entries you should consult the on-line Key.

James

Here is written:

But of couse it is not the original description by Christian Ludwig Brehm in Versammlung der Deutschen Ornithologen-Gesellschaft zu Stuttgart vom 17. bis 20. September 1860. But as Alfred Edmund Brehm is the son of CL Brehms I think Adalbert from Bavaria is reliable.

P.S. James Jobling corrected it already in HBW Alive here.

Thanks Taphrospilus, this reference is very interesting (I can understand German so I will keep this link for future use).

Gonçalo,
Martin points us in the right direction. My current MS and entry in HBWAlive Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology reads:

adalberti Adalbert Wilhelm Georg Ludwig Prince of Bavaria (1828-1875) son of Ludwig I King of Bavaria and husband to Amalia del Pilar Infanta of Spain (Aquila).

The HBWAlive Key is a natural successor to my Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991) and Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011), both valuable references based on information then current, and all reflecting the progress of ornithophilology in nearly 25 years. For the most up-to-date entries you should consult the on-line Key.

James

Thanks James, I will use the Key in the future.

Best regards to both,
Gonçalo

OD Journal für Ornithologie . See also v. 25 (1918) - Novitates zoologicae - Biodiversity Heritage Library

The hint to whom it is named in OD is here Journal für Ornithologie
Ueber die ersten aber muss ich Etwas sagen, weil sich unter ihnen 3 Stücke einer neuen von meinem Sohne Reinhold in Spanien entdeckten und nach seinem Wohlthäter, dem Prinzen Adalbert von Baiern, Königl. Hoheit benannten Art unter ihnen befanden. Man hätte uns zutrauen können, dass wir einen solchen Namen nicht leichtsinnig einen Vogel, wenn auch einem Adler, beilegen würden, denn das würde ja gegen die Sr. Königl. Hoheit schuldige Verehrung und Dankbarkeit arg verstossen haben.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back