• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

why coal tit was named "coal" tit? (2 Viewers)

may not interest you,but when I see the back of the coal tits head,it reminds me of a badger markins,so I have called the bird for years,Badger bird.

Do you drive an automobile or a car? Do you bake in a range? Or in an oven / a stove and the word range means for you reception of a mobile signal? Language changes and much faster than in 50 years.

Bird names evolve too, except that birders talk remains a jargon and the official names exist as a sort of a living fossil language. Which is double nonsense, because biology developed scientific names especially for the purpose of stability and common understanding. In other areas of life, such jargon or unofficial language simply becomes the official language, and the old names become archaic.
So, what would you now call a Coal Tit? Is there a more up-to-date name on everyone's lips just waiting to be be subsumed into the official naming structure?

Ummm... sorry.... not to complicate this even more...

But a english Coal Tit is a Parus ater , which germans refer to as Tannenmeise, whereas a german Kohlmeise is a Parus major, a Great Tit in english...
Aha...Latin terminology comes in useful for garden plants as well for settling arguments - sorry, discussions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back