• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

why coal tit was named "coal" tit? (1 Viewer)

Hey Alastair,
I checked the dutch "Kol" and it seems to come from coal, not from cabbage-
so I think an explanation for Kolgans may also be the black barring on the belly; no other grey goose has this to that extent.
As someone revived this thread: "kol" means "forehead" here, like the English "front" or the German "Bläss".

So it has nothing to do with "kool" which can mean "coal" or "cabbage" ("Kohle" or "Kohl").

Since this thread was revived:
Few years ago, somebody else on this forum said that coal was a kind of black face paint used by fashionable ladies in the 19. century and now long forgotten. It supposedly resembled black pattern on the head of Coal Tit and Kohlmeise = German word for Great Tit.
Cormorant is said to be corruption of Latin Corvus marinus = sea raven.

I find it illogical that people still use names of birds which refer to long obsolete things, words or are simply wrong. For example Stock Dove, Falcated Duck or Caspian Tern.

OED

Coalmouse, colemouse, colmase, colmose, ... c1000.

Coal: reference to its dark colour + Mose: several species of small birds chiefly of the genus parus.

BTW Coal-goose -> Cormorant.
The Oxford Dictionary of British Bird Names by W.B.Lockwood (1984), paperback 1993 confers.

Since this thread was revived:
Few years ago, somebody else on this forum said that coal was a kind of black face paint used by fashionable ladies in the 19. century and now long forgotten. It supposedly resembled black pattern on the head of Coal Tit and Kohlmeise = German word for Great Tit.
Cormorant is said to be corruption of Latin Corvus marinus = sea raven.

I find it illogical that people still use names of birds which refer to long obsolete things, words or are simply wrong. For example Stock Dove, Falcated Duck or Caspian Tern.
Anything to do with kohl eyeliner?? (It's pigmented black)

The most interesting things about this thread (apart from wondering if NatureGirl has really been truly resurrected or not) is that Andrew W used to make jokes ( ;) )and how long Jurek has also been around ...

;)

Welcome to BirdForum. Thanks for picking up on a joke I made 19 years ago!
Having read through this thread as a result of NatureGirl's post, I submit another possible origin of the English name of Coal Tit, and that is the established name for black eye-shadow, kohl, "powder used to darken the eyelids, etc", properly of finely ground antimony, 1799, from Arabic kuhl (Wikipedia & OED). However, the use of kohl as a cosmetic is much older, though this recipe for kohl on the face originated from the Arabian Peninsula, and was introduced in the seventh century in North Africa; kohl has also been used in Yemen as a cosmetic for a long time (etymonline.com).

Kohl has been worn traditionally since the Protodynastic Period of Egypt (c. 3100 BCE) by Egyptians of all social classes, originally as protection against eye ailments. There was also a belief that darkening around the eyes would protect one from the harsh rays of the sun (Wikipedia).

English is littered with words whose original meaning and application differ from current practice, especially of homophones or near homophones resulting in confusion in usage (A tradition very much alive and thriving on the internet even in native English speakers, for example "there, their and they're", "its and it's"...

As for selecting the wrong homophone 'coal' for 'kohl', theatre makeup information in UK from the 17th-century onward used both versions, but more confusion within ornithology was to follow, partly driven by Conrad Gessner's 1555 Historia animalium. Gessner noted that the Coal Tit was known as Kohlmeiß in German – the literal equivalent of its English name, though in its modern orthography Kohlmeise it refers to the Great Tit (Parus major). That bird was in Gessner's day usually called Spiegelmeiß ("multicoloured tit"), Brandtmeiß ("burnt tit") or Grosse Meiß ("great tit") in German.

A shift in naming in German followed. Tannen-Maise was attested as the German name for Coal Tit by Johann Leonhard Frisch in the early 18th century, but he also recorded that it was also called Kleine Kohl-Maise ("small coal tit"), whereas Kohl-Maise referred unequivocally to P. major.

Back in UK, some early ornithologists emended the name to 'Cole Tit', but somewhere in my small collection of old bird books, the name 'Kohl Tit' is used, possibly as an alternative. Adding context, the 18th century saw the huge rise in coal mining and at its end, the first known appearance of the word 'kohl' in the OED.

Thus, there is a fair chance that our current usage of 'Coal Tit' did originate from 'kohl', or at least was kidnapped in error...
MJB
PS
alcohol (n.)
1540s: (early 15c. as alcofol), "fine powder produced by sublimation," from Medieval Latin alcohol "powdered ore of antimony," from Arabic al-kuhul "kohl," the fine metallic powder used to darken the eyelids, from kahala "to stain, paint." The al- is the Arabic definite article, "the."

Paracelsus (1493-1541) used the word to refer to a fine powder but also a volatile liquid. By 1670s it was being used in English for "any sublimated substance, the pure spirit of anything," including liquids.

The sense of "intoxicating ingredient in strong liquor" is attested by 1753, short for alcohol of wine, which then was extended to the intoxicating element in fermented liquors. The formerly preferred terms for the substance were rectified spirits or brandy.

I'll drink to that! 🥂

Having read through this thread as a result of NatureGirl's post, I submit another possible origin of the English name of Coal Tit, and that is the established name for black eye-shadow, kohl, "powder used to darken the eyelids, etc", properly of finely ground antimony, 1799, from Arabic kuhl (Wikipedia & OED). However, the use of kohl as a cosmetic is much older, though this recipe for kohl on the face originated from the Arabian Peninsula, and was introduced in the seventh century in North Africa; kohl has also been used in Yemen as a cosmetic for a long time (etymonline.com).

Kohl has been worn traditionally since the Protodynastic Period of Egypt (c. 3100 BCE) by Egyptians of all social classes, originally as protection against eye ailments. There was also a belief that darkening around the eyes would protect one from the harsh rays of the sun (Wikipedia).

English is littered with words whose original meaning and application differ from current practice, especially of homophones or near homophones resulting in confusion in usage (A tradition very much alive and thriving on the internet even in native English speakers, for example "there, their and they're", "its and it's"...

As for selecting the wrong homophone 'coal' for 'kohl', theatre makeup information in UK from the 17th-century onward used both versions, but more confusion within ornithology was to follow, partly driven by Conrad Gessner's 1555 Historia animalium. Gessner noted that the Coal Tit was known as Kohlmeiß in German – the literal equivalent of its English name, though in its modern orthography Kohlmeise it refers to the Great Tit (Parus major). That bird was in Gessner's day usually called Spiegelmeiß ("multicoloured tit"), Brandtmeiß ("burnt tit") or Grosse Meiß ("great tit") in German.

A shift in naming in German followed. Tannen-Maise was attested as the German name for Coal Tit by Johann Leonhard Frisch in the early 18th century, but he also recorded that it was also called Kleine Kohl-Maise ("small coal tit"), whereas Kohl-Maise referred unequivocally to P. major.

Back in UK, some early ornithologists emended the name to 'Cole Tit', but somewhere in my small collection of old bird books, the name 'Kohl Tit' is used, possibly as an alternative. Adding context, the 18th century saw the huge rise in coal mining and at its end, the first known appearance of the word 'kohl' in the OED.

Thus, there is a fair chance that our current usage of 'Coal Tit' did originate from 'kohl', or at least was kidnapped in error...
MJB
PS
alcohol (n.)
1540s: (early 15c. as alcofol), "fine powder produced by sublimation," from Medieval Latin alcohol "powdered ore of antimony," from Arabic al-kuhul "kohl," the fine metallic powder used to darken the eyelids, from kahala "to stain, paint." The al- is the Arabic definite article, "the."

Paracelsus (1493-1541) used the word to refer to a fine powder but also a volatile liquid. By 1670s it was being used in English for "any sublimated substance, the pure spirit of anything," including liquids.

The sense of "intoxicating ingredient in strong liquor" is attested by 1753, short for alcohol of wine, which then was extended to the intoxicating element in fermented liquors. The formerly preferred terms for the substance were rectified spirits or brandy.

I'll drink to that! 🥂
See post #27 above ...

In Czech, the name for Coal Tit is quite obviously related to coal (definitely not from cabbage) - the form "uhelníček" is archaic and it's not really obvious whether it's supposed to be related to miners or simply to being dirty from coal.

Bird names were often copied between languages (like here from German and English to Czech) which shows that early naturalists often copied knowledge from others rather than discovered themselves, like this not very fitting bird name.

It makes ill-fitting bird names even less worth preserving.

On that basis we'd be changing the names of birds every 50-100 years!
Why change established names just for the sake of it?

Do you drive an automobile or a car? Do you bake in a range? Or in an oven / a stove and the word range means for you reception of a mobile signal? Language changes and much faster than in 50 years.

Bird names evolve too, except that birders talk remains a jargon and the official names exist as a sort of a living fossil language. Which is double nonsense, because biology developed scientific names especially for the purpose of stability and common understanding. In other areas of life, such jargon or unofficial language simply becomes the official language, and the old names become archaic.

The German name 'Kohlmeise' derives from kohlschwarz or kohlrabenschwarz which denote black-as-coal respectively black-as-coal-and-ravens. The French name mésange charbonnière also points to this etymology.

In terms of name origin, I assume "coal" tit is hand-in-hand with Parus "ater" (blackish/dark coloured). So, for the dark colouration. Niger was also used regularly for a similar descriptive root.

In modern day, I feel I see more of fuscous (fuscus), tenebrous (tenebrae), or sooty (fulgens) to refer to such features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back