• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is the (former) Northwestern Crow not a subspecies of American? (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
Moderators, if this is posted in the wrong location, please relocate to the proper forum folder.

For years I had wanted to claim a Northwestern Crow. With a recent venture to Washington State (USA), I finally had my chance. Except now there is no Northwestern Crow. It has been lumped in with the American Crow. Yet, even I could easily tell that some of the local crows were notably smaller, had a leaner beak and a slightly duller looking coat. I can understand the combining in general, but why has the Northwestern Crow been denied at least a subspecies status?

Any insight?

Many thanks!

Moderators, if this is posted in the wrong location, please relocate to the proper forum folder.

For years I had wanted to claim a Northwestern Crow. With a recent venture to Washington State (USA), I finally had my chance. Except now there is no Northwestern Crow. It has been lumped in with the American Crow. Yet, even I could easily tell that some of the local crows were notably smaller, had a leaner beak and a slightly duller looking coat. I can understand the combining in general, but why has the Northwestern Crow been denied at least a subspecies status?

Any insight?

Many thanks!
Clements still has it as a valid subspecies (C. brachyrhynchus caurinus) under American Crow. I don't think the subspecies was ever officially sunk, as the North American Checklist committee does not manage subspecies at present (despite saying they would like to in the future). I haven't checked what IOC does.

Odd, as I have not been able to access it via the eBird list for coastal Washington State.
Thanks for letting me know!
ebird only includes subspecies groups. It's not going to have every subspecies, as many only present minor differences and may not be safely identified. A lot of Northwestern Crows, according to genetics, fall in that category.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back