• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why so many models? (3 Viewers)

You could be right. Or not.

I wonder how much the hordes of different Nikon models actually compete with each other. I would be surprised if they don't cannibalise market from each other which would mean fewer models (big decrease in admin, inventory and shipping costs) could be more effective, more profitable and less wasteful of resources.

But Nikon's agenda may be different from this. As a matter of corporate pride they may wish to be represented in every possible market niche even at the risk of duplication.

Lee

Given the expertise and market dominating success Nikon and other Japanese optical firms have shown in the past 60 years I would be surprised to learn that they were not aware of how individual binoculars fit into the corporate wide mix of products.

Given the expertise and market dominating success Nikon and other Japanese optical firms have shown in the past 60 years I would be surprised to learn that they were not aware of how individual binoculars fit into the corporate wide mix of products.

That's another way of saying Nikon knows what its doing and I don't argue with that.

As I hinted in my previous post I suggest that we don't know what the core target is which drives Nikon's binocular product range strategy but whatever it is it certainly isn't tight control of inventories.

Lee

Awesome market consciousness, and trying hard. Whether you live in a tiny housetrailer or are the King of England, are a subsistence hunter or a jetset bird lover, Nikon makes exactly the right binocular for you. Nobody beats Nikon at this game.

Ron

Hahaha ...... Ron! 3:)

Though don't a certain S-------- brand have the Royalty :king: bit already wrapped up ?!! :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

That's another way of saying Nikon knows what its doing and I don't argue with that.

As I hinted in my previous post I suggest that we don't know what the core target is which drives Nikon's binocular product range strategy but whatever it is it certainly isn't tight control of inventories.

Lee

Good question. Unlike the euro brands I think Nikon has more than one target or market.

.... As I hinted in my previous post I suggest that we don't know what the core target is which drives Nikon's binocular product range strategy but whatever it is it certainly isn't tight control of inventories.

Lee

I think it's fair to say that Nikon is all over the place like a mad woman :bounce:

Inventory problems are the least of it. Just because you've got every segment covered doesn't mean you are making good profits, or indeed covering the costs of investment at a level acceptable to the market. Many of the once untouchable Japanese business giants are facing gale force business headwinds, some have even gone the way of the dinosaurs.

In Nikon's case, this shotgun approach, with it's erosion of their 'alpha' line standings could actually be of some benefit to me :brains: - if only they'd put some HT glass in their EDG's (thus increasing transmission, and reigning in the red-shift back to a more neutral, realistic view), so I could pick an as new one up 2nd hand for under a thousand bucks in-line with recent notable resale values ! ...... :smoke:

Omid,

Perhaps the Perger Prism has the capability of merging the two approaches in the Sports Optics field. There may be patent issues to address before much can be done there though.

It seems to be asking a lot for large diversified corporations to accomplish both of these tasks while at the same time delivering profits to the share holders.

Bob

Yes, Perger prism system is a good example. It's a true innovation.

I agree with your other point too. I am not familiar with Nikon corporate dynamics but I can tell you from first-hand connections that I am not expecting Zeiss to deliver any real innovation in the next five years. Their senior product designer resigned a few weeks ago out of frustration with what he called "bean-counting" executives. No innovation, no risk taking, just a boring product line which is spreading downward creating more confusion for the customer...

Hahaha ...... Ron! 3:)

Though don't a certain S-------- brand have the Royalty :king: bit already wrapped up ?!! :smoke:

Not entirely dear lady, not entirely.

In these very hallowed pages, our esteemed colleague Gary MH, posted a pic last year of Prince Charles, who is next in line for crown-toting duties, toting a small but beautifully formed Zeiss Victory Compact!!!

Lee

I think it's fair to say that Nikon is all over the place like a mad woman :bounce:
I absolutely agree: set against any conventional profit-driven business model, Nikon's line-up is a hysterical mess of hideous proportions.

Lee
Actually my original post had a bit of a boo-boo typo |^| and turned out rather more polite than I had intended |:$| (only as per one of our famous sayings here!) :brains: ..... I meant to elaborate further on the mad woman's part, ie. all over the place like a mad woman's **** :eek!: (you were pretty close to the mark with, "a hysterical mess of hideous proportions" :-O ..... as anyone who has nursed overnight in a high care |:S| retirement home can attest!)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back