• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for the future! (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Right now I have taken some great advice from people on this forum and am learning how to use the "manual" mode ratehr than auto on my D7200 & Sigma 150-600.
Learning how to get the best focus etc! Having fun too! Anyway to my question, ??
I have decided to stick my my equipment I have for now, ( as per the advice given) then had decided to upgrade eventually to a Nikon D500 and a 500mm pf prime! but having looked around I seeI could get a Nikon Z6ii for the same ish money as the D500 . Would the Z6ii be a better buy for the longer view ? I think I understand I would need a FTZ adaptor or maybe the 500mm PF is new enough to fit without the adaptor!
Why I ask now is, that I always keep an eye on the market and if I see a bargain I can grab it ! even tho my plans are really in the future, 2024 ish!
Q = would I be better getting the Z6ii comapred to the D500 ?
TIA always great responses !

Right now I have taken some great advice from people on this forum and am learning how to use the "manual" mode ratehr than auto on my D7200 & Sigma 150-600.
Learning how to get the best focus etc! Having fun too! Anyway to my question, ??
I have decided to stick my my equipment I have for now, ( as per the advice given) then had decided to upgrade eventually to a Nikon D500 and a 500mm pf prime! but having looked around I seeI could get a Nikon Z6ii for the same ish money as the D500 . Would the Z6ii be a better buy for the longer view ? I think I understand I would need a FTZ adaptor or maybe the 500mm PF is new enough to fit without the adaptor!
Why I ask now is, that I always keep an eye on the market and if I see a bargain I can grab it ! even tho my plans are really in the future, 2024 ish!
The D7200 has a supoerb sensor. Unless you need the features of a newer model, I would keep what you have and incest in lenses.
Shots from my old D90 still look amazing even today when I look back, especially with a quality prime attached.
The expensive upgrade path usually ends in disappointment. The difference is not so huge.
Crop and full sensors have equal advantages and disadvantages.

LOL: I am pretty sure you meant "invest in new lenses" (c and v being neighbors on the keyboard).
Niels

The D7200 has a supoerb sensor. Unless you need the features of a newer model, I would keep what you have and incest in lenses.
Shots from my old D90 still look amazing even today when I look back, especially with a quality prime attached.
The expensive upgrade path usually ends in disappointment. The difference is not so huge.
Crop and full sensors have equal advantages and disadvantages.
thanks, intend to ke[[ my D7200 for a while, just trying to find out what si good/ not so good, so if a bargain pops up I can grwab it, my first purchase will be a 500mmpf or the F.4 500mm ;-) thanks for the repsonse!

DSLRs like the D500/D850 and mirrorless cameras of the Z-series are fundamentally different in terms of optical design, thus lenses built and intended to be used on DSLRs will only fit with an adapter to Z-bodies. Nikon claims that AF speed and image quality are not affected and the adapter is really only providing the means to use those lenses on the Z-bodies. Those that have gone this way may confirm or dispute this, I have no personal experience. I am not aware that there is an option to connect Z-lenses to DSLR-bodies, so buying a Z-lens is a one way street.
There is all kind of indication that mirrorless is the future direction and that DSLRs are on their way out. Both Canon and Nikon seem to head this way, and Sony is already on route for a few years longer.
When buying big glass in the next couple of years it may make sense to make the switch to the Z system (or R as it is called in the Canon world), as the camera body usually is what comes with the lower price tag and will be more likely to be updated sooner than a high-end lens. However, given the price tags on the long x00mm f/4 lenses a lot of current users will likely keep them and work with the adapter. Cash in hand the 800mm f/6.3 could be tempting, and one day there maybe stock.

Keep your "old" equipment , it is good.
In my opinion Nikon no longer make "quality" camera's or lenses.
I examined and looked at a Z6ii and was not overly impressed.

I would go for D500 and a 500mm PF. Both can be found used for a reasonable price.
And the 500mm PF will still work fine with the FTZ adapter if getting a Z camera in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back