• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (15 Viewers)

Spent an enjoyable weekend over on the East Coast. After much mulling we decided to start on Saturday morning by visiting Collieston having had an exploratory but urewarding trip there last year we liked the look of the habitat.

The day started well with a Barred Warbler calling in the long hedge by the Forvie Car Park. We spent an hour or so trying to see it without joy.

We then headed down towards the church and watched a Blackcap and Willow Warbler before getting onto a Yellow Browed Warbler. Pleased with the start we checked in the garden over the hill and there was a Lesser Whitethroat. Chatting to a couple of local birders we decided to check the dunes and circle back along the coast checking the rose bushes. We moved on to the (Mains Slains?) plantations and found a Yellow Browed Warbler and a Whinchat.

Not much in the dunes. To be expected I suppose barring a couple of Stonechats, regular ones unfrotunately. Heading back along the coast we stopped for a scan over the sea quickly found a few Arctic Skuas heading through and a close in juv dark phase Pomarine was fantastic

We found another Yellow Browed Warbler in the Rose Bushes and then another by the 'Old Hotel'. We then headed back towards the church yard just in time to help the finders of the Brown Shrike pin the bird down before putting the news out.

We decided to recheck the garden, but there was nothing new so we went and got seconds of the Brown Shrike before heading up the coast to Whinnyfold Gulley. Nothing there so we headed on to Cruden. Great habitat, but too hard to work and not much obvious around. We headed back to Collieston and saw the Brown Shrike again. This was at about 5pm in the churchyard. We were a bit confused as the crowd was a few hundred metres away and wondered if we had found another one. I think it must have doubled back.

Next day we had a fifth Yellow Browed Warbler in the garden of the Station Hotel, Ellen! We decied to try Collieston again in the morning. There were far fewer birds around and the wind was right up. We checkedd the garden again but nothing to see. We watched the Shrike (again!) before heading to Whinnyfold Gulley again. This time a Yellow Browed Warbler showed really close next to the road. The best so far. On to Cruden and there were more migrants than the previous day; Brambling, Lesser Redpoll and you guessed it - another Yellow Browed Warbler.

We decided to give the Barred Warbler at Colliseton one last chance before calling to a day and heading home.

Looking forward to coming back over when there are less leaves! All in all a great weekend and a lifer for my friend and a couple of Scottish Ticks for me.

Ken Hall

I noticed that today would have been the founder of this thread,Ken Hall's 74th birthday today.Brought back lovely memories of a special man and the days spent In his company.

Not only do I miss his company but also his reports and photos on his website.A true gentleman,who Is sadly missed.

Yes, I still miss him too. I was only thinking about him and his wife the other day.

They made quite an impression on us, didn't they.

I noticed that today would have been the founder of this thread,Ken Hall's 74th birthday today.Brought back lovely memories of a special man and the days spent In his company.

Not only do I miss his company but also his reports and photos on his website.A true gentleman,who Is sadly missed.

I didn't get the chance to get to know Ken well but on the occasion I did meet him he was, as you said, a true gent. I'm glad that you noticed that it would have been his birthday today.

Fiona

I had a trip up to the Ythan/Forvie area today.Vis Migs In the shape of Redwings,Blackbirds and Robins everywhere,around by the Golf Course.

Best of the day was a single Little Egret and 3 Snipe at the Inches,14 Whooper Swans on Cotehill Loch and 2 Long tailed Duck on Sand Loch.Plenty Geese around but Pink Feet was all I seen.

Bird news services today are advertising a rustic bunting at Cove Bay. The only problem is that the bird is apparently 'in sycamores' (a rather odd place for the species??) byt 'the' ploughed field which is by 'the' housing estate. A look at a map shows plenty of housing estates, and at this time of year I imagine there is a fair range of ploughed fields too. Does anyone know anything more concrete about this apparent sighting?

Bird news services today are advertising a rustic bunting at Cove Bay. The only problem is that the bird is apparently 'in sycamores' (a rather odd place for the species??) byt 'the' ploughed field which is by 'the' housing estate. A look at a map shows plenty of housing estates, and at this time of year I imagine there is a fair range of ploughed fields too. Does anyone know anything more concrete about this apparent sighting?

Incredibly vague site description isn't it - nothing more specific has been put out on any of the local bird news channels, as far as I'm aware. 'The sycamores' could refer to Cove Bay Community Woodland, which is to the south of the housing estate around Cove Crescent. I don't know if any of the fields around there are ploughed at the moment, but they might be. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know more about this sighting!

This is roughly where the community wood is anyway:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=57.093447,-2.089745&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=16

The Rustic Bunting has been seen again this morning, with slightly clearer instructions:

Male still behind Cove Community Woodland near electricity box c.0.5 miles south of housing estate by permeter fence of industrial estate in willows near stubble field with 5 Yellowhammers

I guess that means it's between the community woodland and the small industrial estate a short distance to the southwest.

So this Rustic Bunting was horribly difficult today. I pretty definitely saw it, but only in flight a couple of times. I think only one or two people had any views on the deck this afternoon. The wind didn't help, as everything was sitting tightly, and keeping very low when perched. There seemed to be one or two Reed Buntings about as well, so care is needed.

Hi Andrew,
Would you mind posting some more directions on here please as my brother is up there at the mo and is struggling to find the site.

Many thanks,
Marcus

Access is basically from Cove Road. It's probably easiest to park at the entrance to the industrial area on the other side of the road to the junction with Charleston Drive. The bird was seen for certain yesterday afternoon in the scrub along the obvious path that begins a few hundred metres northeast of there. It (and probably one or two other buntings) were using the stubble field just next to the industrial area (the gate to this is open). I think it may also have been seen in the community wood itself.

Access is basically from Cove Road. It's probably easiest to park at the entrance to the industrial area on the other side of the road to the junction with Charleston Drive. The bird was seen for certain yesterday afternoon in the scrub along the obvious path that begins a few hundred metres northeast of there. It (and probably one or two other buntings) were using the stubble field just next to the industrial area (the gate to this is open). I think it may also have been seen in the community wood itself.

Thanks for these additional directions Andrew, my bruv found the site but not the bird this morning.

Anyone know if the bird has been looked for recently? I was planning on having a look on Friday or Sat unless there is very clear negative news.

Anyone know if the bird has been looked for recently? I was planning on having a look on Friday or Sat unless there is very clear negative news.

Shorter daylight hours and people working,could be a contributing factor In the bird not being reported.However,It was hard work on Sunday afternoon pinning the bird down and despite a flyover above my head,I could not say for certain It was the Rustic or not.A view shared by Andrew Whitehouse,who would command better knowledge than I.

A bit of a late one but at work I had a Woodcock at the Town House revolving door on Friday 15th.It was displaying at It's own reflection on the glass,with tail feathers erect and spread out.As I approached,It then flew down Broad Street and then down Union Street towards the Castlegate.

Skene Partidge

Couple of weeks ago snapped a black Partridge around Loch of Skene, I know Hugh said before they were bred locally for hunting if I recall, yesterday at Garlogie Dam spotted a white partridge, would this be from the same source?. Also a first for me was Partridges roosting in a tree, suppose this it's quite common ?

regards
Jim.

Attachments

• B1.JPG
    B1.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 75
  • W1.JPG
    W1.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 62
  • T1.JPG
    T1.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 57
Couple of weeks ago snapped a black Partridge around Loch of Skene, I know Hugh said before they were bred locally for hunting if I recall, yesterday at Garlogie Dam spotted a white partridge, would this be from the same source?. Also a first for me was Partridges roosting in a tree, suppose this it's quite common ?

regards
Jim.

Hi Jim.
These birds are Pheasants.

I took some of my students for a walk in Seaton Park and Donmouth today, looking for birds and other wildlife. I managed to see 40 species including a Dipper, Goosander, Red-breasted Merganser, Red-throated Diver, Goldeneye, Redwing, Treecreeper and Common Scoter. There were quite large numbers of Teal at Donmouth, more than I think I've seen there before. Also had a good view of a Roe Deer and a Common Seal.

Banff Rocks

About 20 Turnstone, 3 Redshank and a nice solitary Purple Sandpiper on the shore-line and rocks near Banff today.

Attachments

• Purple Sandpiper 13 Nov 10 small.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper 13 Nov 10 small.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back