• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (4 Viewers)

Great Spotted Woodpecker landing on top of conifer between Annfield Terrace and Brighton Place, Aberdeen at 14:20 today, no doubt attracted to a local feeder, which is currently also getting Fieldfare and Redwing attending. This is about the third I've seen casually here over the years. Perked up the day a bit.

Last edited:
Anyone know anywhere in or around Aberdeen that is a good spot for otters?

Not sure if this has been mentioned already - a colleague of mine regularly "shoots" otters from both sides of the Bridge of Don (A956 King St) road bridge. She has a fantastic series of otters with pups, and one adult devouring a large eel. They regularly frequent the banks of River Don or the island upstream, but also come very close to the pillars of the bridge. IIRC, for me around 19:00 in May gave a 100% hit rate on three occasions, but they are there pretty much all year. Careful when crossing the bridge, traffic is crazy! :C
While in the area, have a look at the leftmost of the tall buildings across the road opposite the LIDL carpark, the area just below the roof is an excellent spot for roosting peregrines (most of the time one, sometimes two).

Haven't managed out much since the Hawfinch bas but got down the Loch of Skene and around Garlogie this morning. Some good sightings, Buzzard, (7) Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Goldeneye, Mallard, Wigeon, all the Tits, including a small flock of c15 Long-tailed, Bullfinch,(3m) G S Woodpecker, Crow, Rook, Woodpigeon, Common, Black-headed & Herring Gulls, small flock of c15 pink-Footed Goose, Oystercatcher, Cormorant, Starling, Robin, Wren, Treecreeper, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Red Kite, 5 sightings (3 tagged birds) and a Red Squirrel, couple of photos attached. Definetly not as much geese about this year I think. A pleaseant morning all round.

Jim.

Attachments

• Loch of Skene 025 - Copy.JPG
    Loch of Skene 025 - Copy.JPG
    729.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Loch of Skene 042.JPG
    Loch of Skene 042.JPG
    934.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Loch of Skene 050.JPG
    Loch of Skene 050.JPG
    898.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Loch of Skene 064.JPG
    Loch of Skene 064.JPG
    606.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Loch of Skene 087.JPG
    Loch of Skene 087.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 47
The spring migration has started! This morning (in the rain) had I over 700 auks (90% Guillemot) flying north at Boddam Lighthouse between 8am-10:30am. Also small numbers of Fulmars and Gannets (25) headed north. In the water: 1 Common Scooter, 3 Long-tailed Ducks and 1 red-throated Diver.

Hello, is someone from Aberdeen going to "Gulls, gulls, gulls - sort out your white wings from the greys" in Peterhead tomorrow morning and have a extra seat in the car? If so I will gladly join (of course I will pay for the lift). Send a email to borgehed 'AT gmail.com. Great thanks Anders

St Cyrus - Mon pm

Right on the very southern edge of the shire, but St Cyrus NNR had a pair of stonechat showing nicely, as well as 4 meadow pipits and at least 2 skylarks singing away. All seen between the centre and the bird hide.

The next meeting of the SOC North-east Scotland branch takes place this coming Monday. Our speaker will be Ben Darvill, who will be talking about “Upland birds: ecology, conservation and how you can help”. Ben works for BTO Scotland where, amongst other things, he has been running the “What’s Up?” project, aimed at increasing biological recording in upland habitats. He is also himself a keen birder and hillwalker, and previously founded the Bumblebee Conservation Trust.

The meeting is at 7.30pm in the Sportsman’s Club at 11 Queen’s Road, Aberdeen AB15 4LY (two doors along from the Dutch Mill). Members and non-members are all welcome: the club has a friendly atmosphere where you can get refreshments and have a chat before or after the meeting, with a large car park at the rear. £2 donation suggested.

Hugh Addlesee (Branch Secretary)

There is still a flock of about 40 Waxwings in Aberdeen, seen this afternoon (on the way to Pittodrie |:D|) along Hilton Street at 14:00. No colour-rings noted, but there are still plenty of berries available in the area, so it might repay further visits.

Attachments

• Waxies1.JPG
    Waxies1.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Waxies3.JPG
    Waxies3.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Waxies4.JPG
    Waxies4.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Waxies8.JPG
    Waxies8.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 28
I had a wander up the River Dee today. I was keen to look for the Black-bellied Dipper that was reported at Allenvale on Friday. I found a pair of fairly normal looking Dippers busy singing and nest-building around the bridge at Allenvale but nothing resembling a Black-bellied. Not too much else was around, although Lesser Black-backed Gull numbers seem to be building up and three Little Grebes were on the river near Duthie Park.

The Great White Egret was at Dinnet again yesterday. I saw it at 16.30 on Loch Davan. I gather it spends a lot of time hunting the edge of the reeds at the North end of the loch.

If you approach from the North end of the loch you'll likely spook it and it'll hide in the reeds completely out of sight. I saw it go into the reeds at one point and it was completely invisible!

There's a small access track with a reddish gate across it near a lone house on the road between tarland and the Burn O'Vat visitor centre. There's space for one car to park here without blocking the access track. Go down the access track (through the woods) till your at the south end of the loch and follow an old dry stone wall all the way to the loch's southern shore. I sat at the end of the wall and scoped the reeds and sure enough the great white was there hunting along the northern shore. The wall reaches the loch in the middle of some trees so you're well camouflaged but still get a good view.

The egret was actually hunting incredibly close to the road but you'd never have seen it from the road as the reeds are so tall. And if you'd of approached you'd have easily spooked it.

It's quite far away from this vantage point but I think this is probably the best way not to spook it or the other wildfowl on the loch. I still got cracking views through the scope.

5 Swans over Broad Street, Aberdeen heading towards the harbour at 08:30 today. From the head shape (I was without binoculars), which was rather bulbous-looking, they were probably Mutes.

Cheers

A Common Kestrel past Greyfriars House, Gallowgate today going very fast (at a distance I thought I had a Merlin, it was moving so quick) in a SW direction. A few years ago I used to get them regularly, if not really frequently, over the town, but in recent years sightings have been of the order of Sparrowhawk 00s+ per year, Kestrel 0. So a nice surprise.

Cheers

Loch of Skene, Mute, Coot & Whooper !

Flock of 11 Greylag Geese came into the Loch of Skene yesterday evening, plenty of Sand Martin about now and quite a few Coot, Tufted and Mallard also in good numbers, the 'resident' Whooper down west end. Small flock of Goldfinch going through and a nice pair of Grey Wagtails down by the Towers. One of those weird Pheasants popped up at the car park just as I was leaving.

Jim.

Attachments

• Mute, Coot & Whooper.jpg
    Mute, Coot & Whooper.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Greylag.jpg
    Greylag.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Grey Wagtail.jpg
    Grey Wagtail.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Pheasant.jpg