• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (3 Viewers)

Still there yesterday (Sunday Aug 9th), hunkered down in the long grass maybe around 800m (at a guess) in front of the Tower Pool hide, so not an easy spot (or photo opportunity).

Juvenile Peregrine soaring over Queen's Road, Aberdeen at 14.20 flew over Cromwell Rd. Recreation Ground - one of the few sightings of raptors I've had this summer. 3-4 Swifts still around, though most have gone.

Cheers

Tried a new farm track out by Carnie roundabout area on Sunday evening, usual finches, tits swallows etc. couple of buzzards and I think these are Spotted Flycatcher, an adult feeding a juvenile, certainly behaving like one,

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 67
A male Kestrel on the Tower at Marischal College this morning,was a change from the resident pair of raptors usually seen on there.

A female Merlin has just passed by over Annfield Terrace, Aberdeen at 14:52. Rather odd flight action, usual long glides with fast flapping, but with odd times when it appeared to be starting a stoop, then recovered itself again. Travelling east.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mrs_gss and I were at the St Cyrus NR on Sunday looking for Peregrine (plus some nice Red-throated Divers pretty close to the shoreline). For a while we saw nothing but there were several Buzzards using the updrafts from the cliffs to "hang" and hunt. We watched these for a while and saw one fly down to perch on a rock ledge.

About 10 minutes later a pair of Peregrine showed up and began to lurk around, also using the updrafts. A fairly large charm of Goldfinches was also flitting about at the time. Suddenly one went into it's stoop and we were both able to follow it down - mrs_gss with her bins and me with a scope. We assumed it was after the Goldfinches but instead it slammed full pelt into the Buzzard. The Buzzard was naturally knocked off the rock completely and looked pretty shaken up although there was no apparent attempt by the Peregrine to follow-up and kill it as prey. A few minutes later it (the Buzzard) flew off, apparently none the worse.

I'm sure we've all seen Buzzards and other BoPs "mobbed" by other species on the wing but I've not seen this before when it's been a target on the ground. Would this have been simply another "bugger off you're too close" response from the Peregrine or was it in fact actually trying to kill the Buzzard for food?

<snip>

I'm sure we've all seen Buzzards and other BoPs "mobbed" by other species on the wing but I've not seen this before when it's been a target on the ground. Would this have been simply another "bugger off you're too close" response from the Peregrine or was it in fact actually trying to kill the Buzzard for food?

It sounds territorial to me. A few years back I watched a male Marsh Harrier from my kitchen window soaring low-down over S. Aberdeen. Suddenly a Peregrine streaked in from the north and batted the Harrier on the left wing from below. The Harrier obviously lost its composure for a second or two, and the Peregrine sheared off at speed and left the scene. My impression was 'Oi you. Gerroff my land!' rather than an attempt to kill the Harrier. Peregrines seem nearly always to kill in mid-air from the successful attacks I've seen (about twenty to thirty over the years), as they rely on a 'killer blow', or a seizure in pursuit. I don't think a Perry would seriously tackle a Buzzard on the ground, but you never know. I think a Gyr might try it. In my years in Wales the local Peregrines stolidly ignored Buzzards, sparred in flight with Ravens (including 'playing tag' on one occasion), but assaulted Wood Pigeons mercilessly.

Last edited:
It sounds territorial to me. A few years back I watched a male Marsh Harrier from my kitchen window soaring low-down over S. Aberdeen. Suddenly a Peregrine streaked in from the north and batted the Harrier on the left wing from below. The Harrier obviously lost its composure for a second or two, and the Peregrine sheared off at speed and left the scene. My impression was 'Oi you. Gerroff my land!' rather than an attempt to kill the Harrier. Peregrines seem nearly always to kill in mid-air from the successful attacks I've seen (about twenty to thirty over the years), as they rely on a 'killer blow', or a seizure in pursuit. I don't think a Perry would seriously tackle a Buzzard on the ground, but you never know. I think a Gyr might try it. In my years in Wales the local Peregrines stolidly ignored Buzzards, sparred in flight with Ravens (including 'playing tag' on one occasion), but assaulted Wood Pigeons mercilessly.

Very interesting - thanks! We were surprised but thinking about it, the only chance to make "the kill" so to speak would have been to deliver an instant fatal blow. Even a wounded Buzzard, I guess, would be difficult for a Peregrine to handle on the ground without the risk of injury to itself.

(We're pretty new to birdwatching and this was the first time we'd ever seen an attack - it was certainly a "wow!" moment :) ).

Very interesting - thanks! We were surprised but thinking about it, the only chance to make "the kill" so to speak would have been to deliver an instant fatal blow. Even a wounded Buzzard, I guess, would be difficult for a Peregrine to handle on the ground without the risk of injury to itself.

(We're pretty new to birdwatching and this was the first time we'd ever seen an attack - it was certainly a "wow!" moment :) ).

I know Peregrine have been recorded killing birds as large as Grey geese, but as far as I know this has been always in flight, with the neck-breaking killer blow following a stoop. No doubt a lucky peregrine could kill Buzzard that way on the odd occasion, though Buzzard can be surprisingly acrobatic, for such a heavy, normally slow bird.

Cheers

c. 150 Fieldfare around the Nellfield Cemetery area of Great Western Road at 13.25 were very flighty and roamed around the general area for about 30 mins. I haven't seen numbers like that for a few years in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back