• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (11 Viewers)

A lovely hours walk along the Ythan at Newburgh this morning,resulted In plenty of Tern action on the river and Ternery,female Eiders looking after plenty of ducklings and lots of Shelduck action.Yellowhammer,Linnets,Willow and Garden Warbler and Whitethroat around the Golf Course and star of the show;"Elvis" the drake King Eider,near the mouth of the river.

No sign of the Glossy Ibis at Strathbeg this morning but a pair of Garganey and a couple of Little Gulls,opposite the Visitor Centre.Bird of the day came In the form of a Pacific Golden Plover at Slains Pools on the way back to Aberdeen.

I see the RSPB have announced this Is the first pair of breeding Little Gulls In Scotland.

This year has been another success for the Aberdeen city centre Peregrine Falcons.Two youngsters seen this morning and possibly more to show themselves yet.

This year has been another success for the Aberdeen city centre Peregrine Falcons.Two youngsters seen this morning and possibly more to show themselves yet.

Cromwell Road Recreation Ground will be worth a look tomorrow then. I see them over it most years around this time, performing aerobatics and soaring.

Cheers

Ythan Estuary - 29th June

AMERICAN WIGEON - flew in from the seaward side of the Waulkmill Hide with ~10 eurasion wigeon 2½ hours after high tide (~11:30am). They all settled slightly to the right of the hide and were still there when we left at midday.

American Wigeon still In the Waulkmill Hide area yesterday evening.
King Eider roosting with other Common Eider near the mouth of the Ythan,just before the Seal colony.

Sadly,the light faded quickly,so never got the chance to look for the White winged Scoter at Murcar but hopefully It shall stay around for another day.

No sign of the Glossy Ibis at Strathbeg this morning but a pair of Garganey and a couple of Little Gulls,opposite the Visitor Centre.Bird of the day came In the form of a Pacific Golden Plover at Slains Pools on the way back to Aberdeen.

Little Gulls now confirmed as having bred with 2 youngsters.

Not a rare bird by any means - but had an odd sighting of a Wheatear hopping about in the playing fields behind Dyce Asda this morning.

Just goes to show that anything can turn up anywhere...

Hello

I have three days off, really would love to see a waxwing. Any suggestions as to where I should try?

Difficult as there are not many Aberdeen reports this year, but Kincorth (across the roundabout from Great Southern Road), and Allenvale Cemetery have been good in the past.

Cheers

Waxwings

50+ Waxwings flying over Allenvale cemetery 8.40 am and another group of 8 Waxwings briefly on a tree at the junction of Stanley St/ St. Swithen St 11.50 am today but very flighty.

Hello,

I am newish to the area and bird watching. Today we visited johnston gardens amd saw the mandarin duck. Does anybody know the reason as to why its there?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back