• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wing tagged lbb gull (1 Viewer)

ste

Hi ,
This adult lesser black backed gull was on birchwood pool, Moore nr, Cheshire last week.The tags on each wing seems to be yellow with the letter N.Does anybody know where it was tagged? I have reported this and several ringed gulls to Euring. Will I get a history of each gull sent to me or is this a bit hit and miss?
Many thanks
Steve

Attachments

• DSCN1555.jpg
    DSCN1555.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 139
Hi steve, for large gulls at Beddington, we contact the large gull cr co-ordinator, Peter Rock, who can usually put us in touch with the ringers or taggers who should give you the bird's history. His email is [email protected]

Regards

Johnny Allan

I have just recieved an email with the history for this Lesser black backed gull.

Tagged as a male on 18.12.05 at Villanueva de la serena, Badajoz, Spain.

Then reported at

10.11.06 Sesimbra ,Portugal

25.02.07 Villanueva de la Serena, Spain

03.03.07 Cheshire, England.

06.03.07 Cheshire, England

15.02.08 Moore NR, Cheshire, England

Many thanks to those involved in recording such birds. Its really interesting knowing the movement of these birds and it makes it very worthwhile reporting them.
Steve

Thanks for posting this Steve - its actually only the ninth record of a Spanish-ringed Lesser B in Britain or Ireland!

We've had nearly 2,200 from B&I to Spain, but this is just a reflection of where birds are ringed/colour-ringed. It'll be interesting to see if this project leads to an increase in sightings of Spanish birds over the summer... If you have full details, can you post them on to me at the BTO ([email protected]) and we'll make sure we get it into the system here.

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

Hi Mark
That's very interesting.Obviously not as many lbbg rung/tagged in Spain as in Britain.
I will send details on to you.
Steve

Hi Guys

Incredibly I've just posted on Birdcallonline.com (Sandbach thread) as I have just photographed this wing-tagged LBBG on Pumphouse Pool,Sandbach Flashes tonight (03/03/08).:t:
It shows that most of the good gulls at Moore/Arpley are also being double ticked at Sandbach.

cheers Pete

Hi Periwinkle

I've received a couple of extra reports of wing-tagged birds now, but I was wondering if you reported 'your' bird and if you got details back about its origins? If not, you can send details on to me and I'l lchase them up.

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

Hello Mark,
Last summer an adult LLBG with a yellow winged tag with the number 7 on it bred in Belfast. I reported the bird to the website but i never got a reply.

Derek

Wing tagged gull

This was photographed on the Lagan in Belfast on March 3rd 2008, any ideas as to where it came from? It looks like an "F" rather than a 7 so it might be a different bird to the one seen last year?

Attachments

• Lesser black backed gull.jpg
    Lesser black backed gull.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 102
Hi Derek

I think that this is probably a '7' and the same bird as bred recently. Did you ever get the original ringing details for it? If not, drop me an email to [email protected] and we'll make sure it gets chased up.

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back