• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Well speaking as someone who's portraiture really sucks, it looks just lovely to me!

Anyway I'm sure you'll be able to work out any kinks you think you may have, (Err...please don't take that the wrong way! I'm talking about portraiture here!), and I know you'll enjoy the challenge and the learning at classes.

My favourite portrait painters are at: http://www.scottburdick.com/

Amazing work.

Mike

Yes it's such a shame, she was a feral kitten I rescued and tamed( just me, she won't let anyone else near her) and living in a tiny cottage I can't keep her in, theres lots of rodents here and her mentor showed her what to do, I can only hope she prefers those. She's out roaming all day and part of the night, only comes in (like a teenager with a car,) to eat and run out again. Comes in around 9-10 and plays like a lap cat, sleeps all night then when I get up it out out out!

There are 37 acres and no one ever sees her so I don't know where she goes. I guess I can try a bell... There are several cats here and hawks and lots of other wildlife, so it's sort of fend for yourself. I've never had a feral cat,
maybe semi feral would be more like it, they were dumped at a park and were not in bad shape, but it was all claws and fangs and hiding for a long time to tame the 3 of them down.

When i was young...a stray long haired black cat turned up one day where we lived...and he kept returning....! That cat was very special to me...[i adopted him...and even tho he was black...i called him Foxy coz of his bushy tail]...! Now i don't know why i told you that...but hey....i just think cats are cool despite their natural 'ways'......:t:

ps...i know that feelings run high regards cats...[and dogs]!...here on BF so i won't say anymore....the proverbial 'can of worms'..!!

All the best....:t:

Yes to me Woody, portraits are the most difficult of all genres, don't know why I want to do them, but I do dislike something getting the better of me.:-O

User, thanks for the heads up about worms...and maybe she did pick it up its flight feathers were sure worn....I'll never forget the exquisite little thing.

....i just think cats are cool despite their natural 'ways'......:t:

ps...i know that feelings run high regards cats...[and dogs]!...here on BF so i won't say anymore....the proverbial 'can of worms'..!!

All the best....:t:

Our backyard, which used to be graced by a beautiful B&W like Pixie, has always been a battleground between the birds we feed and the outdoor cats my wife adopts. Both are just doing what's natural but I always fear we'll lose one of our more special birds to the cats. All in all though I think the Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks which are here in fall and winter take more birds.

A valiant comeback in your second portrait Colleen.

Well Ken, don't think I came back all the way!

and thanks for the kind comments all on cats, nice to know there are understanding souls out there instead of the usual cathating harangues

and today one of the outdoor ranch cats, brought me this....I saw the brood yesterday about 12 of the chicks...so small, and mom viligant, but the high grasses have not been eaten down by the horses in one pasture so there is a lot of cover, this cat is the rodent hunter, but the chick on the ground must have been too tempting. He's a very big cat and a rat catcher extraordinare, some are as long as he is....when he started hanging around my place he took care of the ones nesting in my roof in short order.

Anyway life size and did the feathers too, and some photos. the top of the head and neck is very beautiful,

Attachments

• wild turkey chick_7576.jpg
    wild turkey chick_7576.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 35
You have done the 'ranch cat' offering justice Colleen....beautifully observed work....:t:

ps....i am watching a program on BBC1 at the moment called 'Imagine'...and there was this artist who has 'quite a thing' for dead birds...! Slightly disturbing viewing and not for the faint hearted...but enlightening insights into an artists eye...['art is childs play'...fascinating if unsettling]....:eek!:

All the best....!

very beautifully done, this chick, there are so many colours in there that seemingly blend from one to the next so effortlessly.

thank you Tim Nick and User....

on the hunt for a scaup painting but this isn't it:-O started out as a flash took me longer than 15 min just to get the head.....I do have a painting in me tho, just have to find it.

Attachments

• scaup male_2218.jpg
    scaup male_2218.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 44
some more oil on panel....have been using canvas the last month and think I am getting to prefer it over the panels I've used for the last 3 years, at least for the more alla prima type of work, canvas is easier to store.

didn't really mean for this to be one work I did it as 3 studies, but it sort of looks strange for size think I'll draw some divider lines.

still hunting for the painting.

Attachments

• sketch scaup_2220.jpg
    sketch scaup_2220.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 40
Love the phrase 'still hunting for the painting'....!

Whilst hunting for 'the' one you have, in the process, now produced all these excellent renderings....[i particularly like your last post of paintings]...

all good......:t:

one more ....haven't found it but sure having fun hunting

I think I have an LJ in my unconscious memory bringing this up...not scaup but a similar light, don't want to look it up until after I'm done, but pretty sure it's there.

painted this one on gessoed paper, all are oil paint scaup are so unfussy, and mondrian like...I really do like them

Attachments

• sketch scaup male_2222.jpg
    sketch scaup male_2222.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
The LJ 'light' you mention does ring bells with me Colleen...tho strictly speaking it isn't 'his' light...;)

I love the color combo you are using by the way......:t:

The Turkey fledgling study is superb. I love the simple washes.
Love seeing the Scaup being worked out.
Great to see you doing birds again Colleen!

one more ....haven't found it but sure having fun hunting

I think I have an LJ in my unconscious memory bringing this up...not scaup but a similar light, don't want to look it up until after I'm done, but pretty sure it's there.

painted this one on gessoed paper, all are oil paint scaup are so unfussy, and mondrian like...I really do like them

welcome back to birds: I do like this scaup: perfect
poised pose with that one leg raised and head turned

Well I finally found the lair of the painting....this part is likely to give the most trouble, so worked out just this section......I am loving my new book Alla Prima by Schmid, this is one of the ways he approaches a painting a monochrome painted thin and highlights wiped out with a rag or something....on a toned panel, he says make sure the board is at least double oil primed, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks for that to dry so I went over acrylic, using a really weak pigment that is willing to lift off, not one of the staining colors...

Showed me where I'm likely to have issues with that dark breast against the female, but also have already figured out what I'll have to do. This will be my first duck painting, not a bird I know well either, so don't expect too much.

I could let this dry and bring it to a finish later in color if I wanted, but probably won't unless I get into trouble with the big work. these are at least 2x the size I'll be painting.

Attachments

• scape mono sketch.jpg
    scape mono sketch.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 56
Amazing studies all.

Don't want to detract by adding comments yet. Just enjoying the ride!

Some fantastic working out of composition CC.

I anticipate pretty good results here!

ps the last study reminds me of Roman Mural work...not a bad thing!

I found the painting at least to start, but have no idea where its going, or how it will come out, so in a way still hunting a way to pin it down, I don't have the image in mind like I usually do only a feeling.

12 x24 oil on canvas

yesterday I figured out there is a 8 hour time difference between here and London, just because I often stay up late to paint and sometimes see the British ones start up for the day...

night all

Attachments

• scaup resting_2229.jpg
    scaup resting_2229.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back