• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Yep, you always seem to get there no matter how much work you feel you need to do. While the rest of us have to bin it and start again!

Mike

Well right now it's easier since I'm binning nearly all of it I don't have much to lose by trying...

So here is a wip....I did figure out an interesting way to do the bird formation...after trying some other things I used in the past... not very happy with results...so I took the painting, and put in PS then I took the birds and put on top of that, and put each bird or two in a layer...that way I could move them all around until I got the right line up on the painting, then I knew where they should go and put them on the painting there.....

A good way to work out a flock without cutting out little pieces of paper like some of the duck hunting painters do.

Turns out the stone is going to have to change otherwise it fights with the flock...so in the process of finding that shape here, using negative painting, but I like the flock if you can pick it out in the photo...it's never going to be much but it's fun figuring out how to do it...birds are about 1/2 inch so not going to detail a lot. computer crashed, will put photo up in a sec

sorry, I'm back and this is still very much in progress, I'd like the thing to read light, stone and oh there are birds..to show how they take on their environment only one has what I want done in one stroke on the wings its 3 in from left just below the wave...the rest are just place holders...

Thanks Ed for the pink suggestions it really helps under the top layer to bring out the bird..which are pretty small just over 1/2 inch feel like I'm painting minatures

Attachments

• sanderling flight.jpg
    sanderling flight.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
this has a hell of a lot going for it, I love the rich subtlety of the colours. I agree that you need to find a solution for the rock to stop it fighting with the flock, I would try and stop them fighting and make them play nicely together. (If that's my comment when drinking tea, I'm glad I'm not drinking anything stronger!)

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

if/when the Sanderling get a bit whiter (strong white wingbar, chest n throat) then they will come forward from the rock a bit and that might even up any fights that are going on- I can see their strong wingstripes on the downbeat just picking up the vertical streams running down the rock

if/when the Sanderling get a bit whiter (strong white wingbar, chest n throat) then they will come forward from the rock a bit and that might even up any fights that are going on- I can see their strong wingstripes on the downbeat just picking up the vertical streams running down the rock

yes, I see a need for the rock and the sanderlings working together to create a movement through the rock to create a harmony in the picture, whilst remaining separate elements.

well still trying to get these two things to work together. I work on it then put it up and try a few days later, we are at least 5 steps later than the last one here...as soon as the rock settles I'll try more detail and light on the birds...I want one more that is near the top of the rock but have to wait until the rock is done to put it back. OMG this is just a seat of the pants thing...no idea what I'm doing.

Attachments

• sanderling and rock 1.jpg
    sanderling and rock 1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 64
thanks Tim dont think I'll ever like it, but it is a great teacher for how to paint this kind of thing, if I ever want to tackle it again

sorry could never work it out, and it got fed to the fireplace....one advantage of working on panels with no cad or lead based paints..:eat:

sorry could never work it out, and it got fed to the fireplace

well that seems a shame from here- I never quite saw what was bugging you about this one

but I think we do respectfully accept on here that the artist has the final call on burning n binning, so you are allowed..

well that seems a shame from here- I never quite saw what was bugging you about this one

but I think we do respectfully accept on here that the artist has the final call on burning n binning, so you are allowed..

I agree. I didn't say anything because I knew you had your own plans for what to do with it.

But as Ed days the artist has final call on burning or binning! I'm sure it will eventually be resurrected in one way or another. Nothing is ever really lost.

Well, yours is the final say and sometimes things won't come right no matter how hard we try. Once it reaches that point it's probably best to admit defeat. I'm sure that this subject will stick in your mind though and, at some time, it'll pour off the end of your brush and flow into just the very thing you had in mind in the first place.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back