• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Just look at what you're doing now, Colleen!!!! - Amazing; this melding of form, colour, light and atmosphere - totally and absolutely wonderful!

just caught up with the swan pic- besides the lovely light, its a treat to be able to see the paint texture through it

I've been coating my cheap canvas with Liquitex flexible modeling paste, then a couple of coats of gesso. It's a great surface with lots of subtle changes like linen, gets rid of the more mechanical surface of cheap canvas weaves. All the texture you see is from that, I still paint thin. I brush and scrape it on to fill up the weave and leave some surface marks to from the brush, or sometimes a roller

I've been coating my cheap canvas with Liquitex flexible modeling paste, then a couple of coats of gesso. It's a great surface with lots of subtle changes like linen, gets rid of the more mechanical surface of cheap canvas weaves. All the texture you see is from that, I still paint thin. I brush and scrape it on to fill up the weave and leave some surface marks to from the brush, or sometimes a roller

Interesting that you're treating the canvas before starting work on it. I wish I could afford linen, I bet you do too, but I always end up with the coarse stuff!

Mike

Interesting that you're treating the canvas before starting work on it. I wish I could afford linen, I bet you do too, but I always end up with the coarse stuff!

Mike
well linen has drawbacks too when stretched, but I do use it at times, I have it drymounted to a board. but this made surface is really nice, and turns any cheap surface in to something very nice to paint on.

thanks Nick

here is the second painting I'm donating for the Canine Companion auction....still going for the cuteness factor.

Working on a new surface, Art & Enns, made in Canada, I got from Jerrys... Im not thrilled with tho it might be good for plein air, it's acutally plastic with a very pebbly surface. Has anyone here used it ? I'm using the Haircell panel for oils and acrylics, they make some for watercolor too. I put some modeling paste on it to fill in the pebbly stuff some and it still shows, but it did take the paint nicely...big deal here is I somehow managed to get a lot of light with only a limited value range all high key....lots of fog paintings last winter paid off.

and finally getting to the looser style I wanted, its been a long journey

Attachments

• puppy play_4400.jpg
    puppy play_4400.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 50
I hadn't seen the swans, which are superb, and this one is so much more than a cute puppy painting - it's beautifully handled and full of life.

Thanks all for the encouragement, I think I'm wobbling in to new areas in my painting that are getting very interesting to me. looser freer yes but also a change in light and color that I'm enjoying.

Its a wonder as on the personal front its one earthquake and tsunami later...

Sometimes those things can make for new ways of seeing.... I felt that "what next" moment that Tim writes about in the swan painting.

been working very intensely on seascapes with a focus on composition....working through a series of 100 which is how I put myself in a steep learning curve... I've worked out comps from the thumbnails of Payne in his book Composition of Outdoor Painting, and copying some of the masters like Waugh, then going to my own photo refs to apply what I learn...it's coming along and getting better this is # 26 the only watercolor of the bunch so far. From one of my favourite places Bodgea head, down the cliffs at the end of the small beach there.

quick 20 min study for the watercolor, 15 min flash on the oil

Attachments

• bodega rocks_4427.jpg
    bodega rocks_4427.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20 brushwork_4424.jpg
    20 brushwork_4424.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back