• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

super seascape - amazing how patches of colours and tone form together in the eye to make something so strong and recogniseable.

yes....letting out my inner impressionist at last Nick

here is a sample of 10 of the 100 seascape studies I did in chronological order.These were all done with a single focus on compostion, I wanted to get a knowlege of good ones, so I studied some of the great masters like Waugh, and then went looking outside for the same kind of thing, I love the big wave coming in comps the best, crashing charging things, lots of movement, much more than the long landscape views. A great mystery in the color, I ranged from very limited palette of 3 colors to a full one and found not a lot of difference in the outcome.

I tried to add a comment on facebook, but that hasn't worked. So, I tell you here that I love your seascapes and would like to see more of them. What size are they?

Ulrike O:)

doing some very tight waves to start my 100 waves challenge, this is #4 and the final one in the series of build up to broken over... they are all in a sequence, ie I followed one wave in clicking as it broke, with the idea that I could study the anatomy at different parts in the movement. These sequences ( there will be 3) will all be from my photos, the goal is to get the understanding and technique together to produce without having to ponder so much all at once when I'm out painting on site.

I'm about to start a lot of gull studies so I can put them in the seascapes eventually...I know I'm plodding and mechanical and analytical, compared to innately talented artists, but it gets me there eventually, When I'm there and prepared with the skills I forget all this and just paint.

oil 8x10

Attachments

• wave #4 _4601.jpg
    wave #4 _4601.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I usually put it on Andrew I forgot, I gave up acrylics long ago in favor of oils which I love and are with pastels my two favourite medias

These seascapes are an absolute joy. I know that you will complete your self appointed task and work through 100 waves, you seem remarkably determined and doggedly persue your goals, but, from the looks of this wave alone you really don't need to. It's already top work.

Mike

thanks Mike, it's one thing to get it from the photo when it's all still and quite another when one is in front of the thing , just like the birds. so these are so when I get out there I'll already have the skills at hand to capture the moment, there are so many things to figure out, and so much to learn to see.

For instance there are many areas of warm tones in the midst of all the blues and greens, they are in unusual areas and fleeting, yet they give life to all the cool colors and make the painting sing..

so inspired by Tims last batch, I just had to go out and try again, it's been a while several months without field sketching and I was a bit rusty but by the 4th page it was getting better.

I don't know why but I just adore these little gulls, and I've not seen them before. There were 30 in the group hanging with some herring gulls who are so much bigger. Out of that there was a single brown juve, it took a shine to me and my cherries and hung out within 2 feet for a long time. They currently have white heads from breeding plumage, but flecks are starting to appear.

I didn't take a camera today. so I wasn't tempted, and just drew and observed. I also used the bins to watch the surf. Pretty exciting, even tho you know you are safe, when using bins to watch the waves, the body says, MOVE Danger Danger.. we are going to drown...:eek!:

I'm going back again, and hope no dogs come by, at least I got to draw for an hour or so.

Attachments

• heermann's gulls 4604.jpg
    heermann's gulls 4604.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 35
  • heermann's gulls_4602.jpg
    heermann's gulls_4602.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 38
  • heermann's gulls4605.jpg
    heermann's gulls4605.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 36
I'm very jealous of your Heermann's Gulls - they look like a wonderful subject to work with. You're doing very well with them too.

Super work on the gulls - there's a real crackerjack drawing on the second sheet - superb. Mike's quite right regarding the sea-study - perfect as is!

You're having a fine time with these gulls Colleen, I particularly like the last sheet.

Mike

Have to agree with everyone about the gulls. But also wanted to comment on that last wave painting. Just great I think. It may be from a photo but sometimes it's even harder to get anything lively from a photo. So this bodes well for painting from life. Should be quite a combination when birds and water come together in one painting.

The Heermann's are very well done, Colleen! They are a fun species of gulls, with the huge difference between breeding and non-breeding plumage. They're more common here on the outer coast than on Puget Sound, so I don't get to see them all that frequently.

Your dedication at accelerating a learning curve on a given subject through tons of small studies as a focused effort is really paying off for you. I don't think I have that focus or dedication...!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back