• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (1 Viewer)

Ken, even if I can bring off these detail pieces, I don't really enjoy painting that way, its sort of boring in the end, so thats why I want a different road. Sometimes tho it's Ok just wouldn't want to do it all the time.

Makes perfect sense to me. I'm the same way with detail - I just don't find it enjoyable, at least not all the time.

I'm afraid I have a hard time looking at coastal fog paintings. That has nothing to do with your paintings, just the way my bones start feeling chilled as I remember the bone-chilling fog off the coast of San Francisco. It's the only weather I've never liked. I've always liked weather in all its forms. So I was shocked when I moved to SF and found I just didn't like the constant cool dampness.

just the way my bones start feeling chilled as I remember the bone-chilling fog off the coast of San Francisco. It's the only weather I've never liked. I've always liked weather in all its forms. So I was shocked when I moved to SF and found I just didn't like the constant cool dampness.

ah yes in SF it can be really cold even in summer, the kind of cold that penetrate. However I love the fog, and living here have grown more in love with the amazing subtle colors in it, Unfortunately even when I get it right the camera can never pick it up they have to be seen in person for the most part. I don't think they will ever be a big seller, they are so quiet, I cant resist them tho.

More attempts at gull studies the quick brush in one mark kind I will have to do in the seascapes eventually.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very well done on the fog landscape, Colleen! Good variety of colors, but with appropriate subtlety. I have to like foggy seascapes, living where I do. :-O

yes you get even more than I do here, it takes a while to really see the colors in fog, and begin to love it.

Here is the latest one I've tried, a great challenge, there is a time when the fog bank rolls in and starts covering things from the back to the front and just for a moment the sun in on the place right in front I tried to show that fog coming in thing that happens, this is out at Scotty's cove. Finally starting to get the wet sand and sheet reflections thing too, but still don't have the right shapes.

This is #36 of my current 100 challenge where I'm working on longer views and more complex compositions. Gull work is not yet up to speed for including them but later this could use one or two on the sand , have to be careful as they become the center of interest very fast.

Attachments

• Long view #36.jpg
    Long view #36.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 43
I think seagulls would be the perfect touch. I don't think they would rob the attention, since everything else in your painting looks gorgeous

I agree, I just have to learn how to make tiny little gulls with a few strokes, as they won't be more than half an inch or so in size...lots of artists have done this so I just need practice. If I do it on a dry painting I can wipe it off if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
You've caught the atmospherics in the scene beautifully Colleen. It's given it a great feel of distance and depth. You're right, a gull or two would help with that even more and bring an extra spark of life to the scene too.

Mike

thanks Tim, someday after enough painting I will find my own special way of painting; but I'm thankful all these great guys have gone before me so I have such great guides...

Finally! I'm beginning to get the gull shapes, I think the bodies are a bit long yet, but that troublesome bill is starting to look right...it just beats me how Tim and the other masters here make it look so easy. I still don't have that juve begging jizz right, but not to worry he's there every day so I can study it more.

It was perfect day at the beach yesterday, huge waves, no wind, and so warm I only needed a t-shirt.

Attachments

• gull studies 5218.jpg
    gull studies 5218.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 25
  • gull studies5217.jpg
    gull studies5217.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 25
thanks John and Mike, they aren't good yet, but at least I see some possibility they may be, I need a few more sessions I think

Here is a current one, I got the land and really messed up the water , this is probably the best land I've done, working a new system I read in Kevin Macpherson's book Inside and Out, Landscape Painting...his way of looking at and painting complex forms really helped me to do this one. The problem with the water is the scale, It was far away and the waves and chop got the best of me....I think I may finally have a plan that works for the cliffs tho, so it's not a total loss. and I got a few gulls in too.:t: Maybe I can fix the water when its dry and try again, one step at a time.

#37 of my current 100 series. 8x10 oil on linen

Attachments

• schoolhouse beach view bf.jpg
    schoolhouse beach view bf.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back