• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (14 Viewers)

For those who can’t failed to have noticed the increase in Raven records locally and the close urban proximity of breeding birds. e.g. 1 1/2 miles from me @ Wordsley - the species is now at historical highs i.e. for 200 years with an estimated 12,000 breeding pairs and at 4-5 fledging per clutch plus longevity it bodes well:t:

Laurie -

For those who can’t failed to have noticed the increase in Raven records locally and the close urban proximity of breeding birds. e.g. 1 1/2 miles from me @ Wordsley - the species is now at historical highs i.e. for 200 years with an estimated 12,000 breeding pairs and at 4-5 fledging per clutch plus longevity it bodes well:t:

Laurie -

Brilliant...any scientific - or otherwise ...reasons for their spread......

The RSPB bloke in question said the overriding factor is lack of direct persecution i.e Gamekeepers. A bird with the intelligence and adaptability plus longevity should be far more widespread than it ‘traditionally’ was e.g. the Northern uplands and coast.

A friend and i survey locally and have about 20 breeding pairs within 20 miles of Stourbridge - all bringing off 3-5 birds.
Laurie:t:

An hour or so down Withymoor. Redwing and 2w LBBGull + Grey Wagtail and ca60 BHGulls. My real reason to visit is to walk the new dog and listen for.....Hawfinch.

Yesterday saw a new addition to the Withymoor list, the first since this year’s 2 records of Little Egret. A sub adult Common Gull, 3rdW/4CY, was present when i arrived but flew about and then off. Easily, for me, the rarest of the ‘Common Gulls’ present in the Midlands - long overdue and smart birds:t: But being a Larophile they’re all smart...

Attachments

• F74B5D29-F945-42DA-B078-1E1B685E1EC4.jpg
    F74B5D29-F945-42DA-B078-1E1B685E1EC4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 46
Yesterday saw another Withymoor addition in the form of a 2w GbbGull - i’ve had a couple over but none on the pool itself. In addition a Redhead Goosander was present, the first for about 15 months due to low water levels...

Paul Legge texted me to say the Goosander has been joined by a 2nd and that the GBBG (same age) is there along with LBB and Herring:eek!:

I know it’s not earth-shaking stuff but it’s only a lickle pool.....

Laurie -

Yesterday’s Goosander - i like Redheads:t:

Attachments

• BB4786FC-BC1F-4780-9750-A3D0B1BB5CB7.jpg
    BB4786FC-BC1F-4780-9750-A3D0B1BB5CB7.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 41
My ever desperate search for a West Midlands Hawfinch, with photograph if possible, has led to ever-increasing concentric circles from Stourbridge. This ‘Wandering Jew’ approach is more likely to yield this elusive creature but as my ‘local’ patch boundaries touch both Worcs and Staffs any record in either of these ‘no go’ areas will be tinged with disappointment leading to halves of celebratory ale rather than foaming pints;)B :)

That said - i yomped 9 miles with new dog Hettie to no avail but it was a nice day with cracking light. Down at Brake Mill there was a solitary Little Grebe where Goosander normally are and about 400 mixed Gulls in the Sheep field. The view from the gate means that the birds a viewed at an angle, flat, with the perspective all piled up. Further along, in line with the flock, is better but once again i failed to take secateurs to cut a small gap to facilitate better views. Many birders go there to check the flock and nobody ever trims a viewpoint - once again if you want something doing..........

There was an impressive 30+ Great Blac -backs in the flock and on the way back i had a 2w-type Yellow-legged fly thru. Up at the Hagley Fields pumping station i clicked with 3 Brambling - my first and probably last of the Autumn:t:

Laurie -

If you go down to the woods today #Hettie

Attachments

• 201676F0-F3BA-4F60-804C-1E3426A0AF9F.jpg
    201676F0-F3BA-4F60-804C-1E3426A0AF9F.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 53
All quiet on the Westmids front, well the Withymoor bit anyway, save for an excellent Common Gull record - a second following hard on the heels of the first a week or so ago. This bird was a 2w type as opposed to the subadult seen previously. In addition there was a rather smart adult LBB with nice Winter flecking:t:

Still no sign of roaming Yawnfinch...

Attachments

• E5C322D6-18AB-44B5-86B1-05A2E6E38B56.jpg
    E5C322D6-18AB-44B5-86B1-05A2E6E38B56.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 97FB2A51-98C2-4BEF-A48D-18CD47D585CC.jpg
    97FB2A51-98C2-4BEF-A48D-18CD47D585CC.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 45
  • CBC67DEA-D77E-41B1-B43C-9343A2136E15.jpg
    CBC67DEA-D77E-41B1-B43C-9343A2136E15.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 54
Withymoor 1145-1315...

ca125 Black-headed Gulls
6x Lesser-black Backed Gulls (2ad, 3x 4cy type birds with Brown flecks on mantle and a 1w bird)
2x Herring Gulls - ad & 1w
Single Common Gull 2w type on second consecutive day

This is the first time i have had 4 species of Gull present on the pool in 5 years of regular watching:eek!:

Redpoll on the adjacent Playing Fields tree strip.

Quiet at Withymoor yesterday with just a couple of adult LBB’s and a 1w Herring Gull but Paul Legge had more LBB’s and a Redhead Goosander at lunchtime.

On Saturday i had a Peregrine near the old Fort Dunlop whilst on my way to Brum’s Chinese Quarter:t:

Laurie -

3 hours ystda up the Stourbridge canal arm yielded a dead male Muscovy and a Moorhen eating a Crab Apple. I paid a visit to the Bells Mill area a site i have not visited for a while. The original large shallow pool although obviously damp showed no open water and has begun to be colonised by shrub Willow species, a pity as there is enough scrub in the area and a lack of standing open water that is useful. The ‘new’ pool formed several years ago by the canal breach has shrunk by 50% in size most of which is now Greater Reedmace (Bullrushes) with a small area of open water in the middle. My guess is that the supply of spring water has dried up and it is gradually reverting back to damp field habitat - the temporary sere stage will probably be completed in 5 years or so as there is little depth to the area.

I didn’t go flushing with the new dog but maintained a 5 metre stand off during my circuit and 9 Common Snipe exited the area, no Jacks were seen - this is the only local area where i regularly see Snipe but it’s just the sort of habitat to produce a roaming Bearded Tit:eek!: A solitary Little Grebe was seen on the virtually useless new fishing pools adjacent:-C

Strangely I too was down that way,as I am most days (so not so strange then). The Muscovy has been dead for months and I can't understand why it hasn't been eaten or decomposed more, just lying in state in its mausoleum. It pushed its luck once too often and took a severe beating off the Canadas. It managed to get back into the "cave" where it succumbed to its injuries. Fond memories of it feeding by hand and giving my dog a peck on the nose when she got too close. Also memories of it waddling down the pavement outside Geoff Hills before it discovered the cut.
As you say not a lot about but did haveReaven fly over the horse field. Regards Dennis

Hi Dennis - nice to hear from you:t:

A pity the Muscovy met its demise in that way i’m just surprised at the condition it is in - looks lik it’s asleep:cat:

Down at Withymoor i have been just into double-figures on the large Gulls and also an appearance by another Common Gull, a 2nd Winter type this time. Goosander have been regular with a Redhead on most days and more often than not accompanied by anothe pair - 6 has been the highest count this Winter thus far and it is probably due to the higher water levels although they still have not tempted any other diving species yet i.e. Tufties...

Hawfinches are still being recorded locally with the most recent being 6 birds overflying Mary Stevens Park a few days ago. I have yet to click with any irruptive birds and probably seem destined to go to my grave a ‘Virgin’ so to speak.

I suppose i could derive some kudos from being the only active birder in the country not to see one - people would travel far and wide for my autograph in order to tell their grandchildren;)

The last week down at Withymoor has seen little change. The water is deeper but no sign of any Tufties altho Goosander fluctuates on a daily basis from a single Redhead to 6 birds - ystda 3 (2m1f) were present.

Gulls, generally 25-75 and a pair of adult LBB’s are usually present but can be augmented by another half a dozen birds eithe more Lesser or the odd Herring Gull or 2 of mixed ages - for example 3 Herrings were present ystda (2ad1fw). Larger Gulls attract other larger Gulls it would appear...

No more Common Gulls noted but on Frday i had 2 seperate GBB’s en-route and a 2w -type Yellow-legged fly thru:t:

Needless to say.....NO Hawfinches seen or heard on my peregrinations:-C Mary Stevens Park has a large-ish Beech and i found a Hornbeam in Greenfield gardens as i scrape the barrel for possible feeding sites for the species.

The 4 Barnacle Geese have now departed for pastures new. Although escapees they added a little bit of something whilst present. The next 7-10 days will see a marked change in the weather with a widespread drop in temperatures.

Withymoor is virtually frozen over with a pair of adult LBB’s + a 1stW bird and an adult Herring Gull - so the presence of a rather smart pair of male Shoveler wascmost unexpected:eek!: I have only 2 records of seperate females so this makes these a ‘first’ of sorts:t:

Laurie -

Attachments

• 371DB50B-7567-4653-AF8A-9F0CFC45BC14.jpg
    371DB50B-7567-4653-AF8A-9F0CFC45BC14.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 40
Still NO Wheatears at West Hagley Fields:-C Quite a contrast with my first record on the 10th of March last year, 2 males one of which flew into the Worcestershire field👍 My first Whitethroat on Wednesday and year-ticked Terry Hinett! Another at Iverley Paddocks ystda. Male Redstart reported by the Pumping Station and a Feb record of 8 Golden Plover feeding in the snow. I had my first Curlew record 3 weeks ago after chatting with Mark James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back