• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (1 Viewer)

Too managed for my liking. Was a time much of it was inaccessible and both spotted flycatcher and willow tit bred there.

I visited it some years ago after a kingfisher and went down from the Mill...I too found it a bit inaccessible as well.It didn't help that it was damp and overcast at the time.....but if it was visited regular then it looked to have some good habitats.
Moseley bog does sound a bit grand though ....on the back of the "rings" I suppose...we too had a few places called the dell over Wast Hills.

Keith :t:

Moseley Bog was a reliable place for lesser spotted woodpeckers but they haven't been there for about ten years.
Always surprised it is promoted as 'a green oasis.' Most of that part of South Birmingham is leafy and has huge areas of green open space. In terms of wildlife diversity, can think of better places.
As said, was a regular a lifetime ago when there was never anybody about.
Nowadays, it's noisy kids with over indulgent parents, ageing hippies and LOTR fans.
Birdwatching for Guardian readers.

Last edited:
Moseley Bog was a reliable place for lesser spotted woodpeckers but they haven't been there for about ten years.
Always surprised it is promoted as 'a green oasis.' Most of that part of South Birmingham is leafy and has huge areas of green open space. In terms of wildlife diversity, can think of better places.
Nowadays, it's noisy kids with over indulgent parents, ageing hippies and LOTR fans.

Which category do you fall into Paul? 8-P

Ah....the Green welly brigade!

Wonder if the Vicar gets to visit these days;)

I am sure a large % of birders of a certain age would fit somewhere in there;)

It sounds more interesting for its plants, there can't be many places in the West Mids county where you could guarantee a Lesser Pecker these days?

Laurie:t:

1...I have Green wellies........;)

2...The vicar was last seen handing over £300. :eek!:

Judging by his pay packet and what he achieves for it, he would be better off getting drunk on the 300 quid, whilst finally breaking his duck with a womanB :)

Mon 25th Nov............

Mary Stevens Park ca1530

BHGulls - ca130
Grey Wagtail - single
Goosander - 1st (that i've recorded) for this Winter, a single female - there was a solitary female @ BrakeMill last week so this is possibly the same bird? Either way a good species.
LBBGull - 2 adults and 2 first-Winter types.

Tue 26th November.......

Withymoor -

Quiet - BHG's ca20, Tufties 2males and a single female that was decidedly 'Scaup-faced'. Small party of Greenfinches mixed with Bullfinches on the Railway Line. Semi-albino male Blackbird still about.

Mary Stevens Park ca1630 -

BHG's - ca125, no sign of the female Goosander.

Did a second take whilst perusing some local news, (Bittell) i thought i had stumbled onto a dogging site;)

Less than a week to go..................:eek!:

Attachments

• UpperBittellShag.jpg
    UpperBittellShag.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 31
Brake Mill Pools

A male Mandarin was a very nice surprise at Brake Mill Pool this afternoon! I was told of it's presence when I arrived about 2.00pm and roughly 40 minutes later it appeared from behind low branches on the waters edge and later lengthy views were had of it as it preened on the embankment! A stunning bird!
Grey Heron, a lone female Goosander and a Little Grebe were also present.

Attachments

• P1150329 [].JPG
    P1150329 [].JPG
    111 KB · Views: 32
  • P1150337 [].JPG
    P1150337 [].JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 33
Brake Mill Pools

A male Mandarin was a very nice surprise at Brake Mill Pool this afternoon! I was told of it's presence when I arrived about 2.00pm and roughly 40 minutes later it appeared from behind low branches on the waters edge and later lengthy views were had of it as it preened on the embankment! A stunning bird!
Grey Heron, a lone female Goosander and a Little Grebe were also present.

Could well be the same bird I had on Ladies Pool on 18th Pam. It hung around for a couple of days. I think the Canada's are commuting between the 2 pools also, have had up to 20 on LP, average around 10 lately. No Goosander yet this winter. :t:

The Mandarin may commute to Ladies Pool along with the Canada's then Mark! There were 20+ Canada's in the paddock adjacent to the pool this afternoon, there numbers are increasing each time I visit lately. Your turn for a Goosander I reckon!:t:

The Mandarin may commute to Ladies Pool along with the Canada's then Mark! There were 20+ Canada's in the paddock adjacent to the pool this afternoon, there numbers are increasing each time I visit lately. Your turn for a Goosander I reckon!:t:

The Last 2 years I have picked up Goosander regularly from around 7th December , so given me not usually being able to cover 5 days of the week, we could indeed reasonably expect them to start frequenting anytime soon on a regular basis...will let you know ;)

Had a quick look on MSPark ystda ca1600 after the Gulls had left but no Goosander but as you say December is a better bet for regular birds along with the odd cormorant as per last year.

Looks like searching for Xbills of possibly 3 spp this weekend........

http://timsbirding.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm not convinced on the pictures shown so it could be debatable as a 'regional first' but it's early days...........

Had a quick look on MSPark ystda ca1600 after the Gulls had left but no Goosander but as you say December is a better bet for regular birds along with the odd cormorant as per last year.

Looks like searching for Xbills of possibly 3 spp this weekend........

http://timsbirding.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm not convinced on the pictures shown so it could be debatable as a 'regional first' but it's early days...........

Hi Laurie , great to meet up with you on the Lickies today...sorry to hear you just missed the Crossbills though...keep trying.

Sorry to dissappoint you Keith but i have'nt been to the Lickeys for years, i do pass by on the way to the Bittells tho' - just out of interest why did you think you had met me? If there is somebody masquerading? if so this has sinister overtones;).......

I haven't been out of the Greater Stourhole area for weeks but all that is going to change on Tuesday - i shall be having breakfast here and tea in Marrakesh:eek!: In between i do intend a little local birding whilst moving my boat today around Cookley/Caunsall and tmrw will be giving the Million wood a bit of a bash!

ATB Laurie:t:

Below - Supper time in the Jemaa el-Fna.

Attachments

• Jemaa el-Fna.jpg
    Jemaa el-Fna.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Had walk up canal this morning to Netherton Hill pleasant sunny morning. ChiffChaff up by Nine Locks, Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over. Nice erea around Netherton hill. Doing it more often in Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back