• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (2 Viewers)

Sorry to dissappoint you Keith but i have'nt been to the Lickeys for years, i do pass by on the way to the Bittells tho' - just out of interest why did you think you had met me? If there is somebody masquerading? if so this has sinister overtones;).......

I haven't been out of the Greater Stourhole area for weeks but all that is going to change on Tuesday - i shall be having breakfast here and tea in Marrakesh:eek!: In between i do intend a little local birding whilst moving my boat today around Cookley/Caunsall and tmrw will be giving the Million wood a bit of a bash!

ATB Laurie:t:

Below - Supper time in the Jemaa el-Fna.

Oopps...sorry Laurie....well I am sure it WOULD have been nice to have met you...it was Alex aka ravenwing...mixture of short term memory loss,the cold weather and me being a total t***...lol.

Keith :t:

Raven over Brierley Hill High Street at 7.30am this morning, flying north west.

At 10am a mixed flock of Redwings and Fieldfares departed from trees in Marsh park and flew north.

Agree with you Paul an underwatched area and it stands out as a 'Green' splodge with the razzer adjacent for potential migrants (no, not the Poles);)

Will PM you with my new phone number and will need yours again as it did'nt transfer from my SIM - in case you find the big 'un down @ WM.

Had a cycle over to Wolverley by road and bought the boat back to Caunsall then cycled back via the side of Bunkers Wood. I was surprised at just how birdless the area seems to be, a lot of fields are vegetated, probably Winter Wheat. A few have been ploughed but very little appeared to be fallow or 'rough'. No large gatherings of anything, not a single Lapwing noted and nothing flew over - certainly as far as i could see. I stopped a couple of times but that was the general impression and a depressing one it is. There can't be much food in this sort of habitat?

The only bird of note was a single female Goosander in Mary Stevens Park at about 11am.

Laurie:t:

Below - another grim days birding.

Attachments

• BlackCountryBirding.jpg
    BlackCountryBirding.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 40
The Last 2 years I have picked up Goosander regularly from around 7th December , so given me not usually being able to cover 5 days of the week, we could indeed reasonably expect them to start frequenting anytime soon on a regular basis...will let you know ;)

And right on cue a pair of Goosander today :t:

Last edited:
Stepping Stones

Just had a quick drive through on my way to tesco after the waxwing alert on birdguides (other rare bird alerting systems are available). Had a flock of c.20 starlings and another flock of c.20 redwings... :t:

Last edited:
I think the new Tesco's is attracting more birders than Withymoor! I met another birding mate in there over the weekend......Hvnt been down since returning from Maroc:eek!: but did manage some brief views of 2-barred Billys:t: ova @ WF ystda before the impending rain.

Will summon up the enthusiasm ova the festive period i have no doubt.

Merry Xmas to everybodyB :)

A quick pre-pub and Xmas lunch visit to WM and my first since being away.

7 Tufties, 4m3f and about 75 BHG's.

Mary Stevens Park

250+ BHG's with a 2w Herring Gull that had a very pale mantle.

Boxing Day

Mary Stevens Park

Black Headed Gulls estimated at ca400 ystda including a couple of 'half hoods' - the seasonal increase in numbers about this time of year offers the best chance of a Med?

An adult LBB and the 2w pale-mantled Herring Gull from the previous day still present.

Female Sparrowhawk finding a bit of thermal over the ring-road.

These winds are something else, opening the front door this morning to loose the dogs out and the little car park now contains 2/3 of a Crack Willow - these Winter storms are apparantly a spin-off of the Jet Stream being abnormally South over North America.

It's not all bad if it brings gems like this as far South as Portland.

Attachments

• BrunnichsGuillemott PortlandDec2013.jpg
    BrunnichsGuillemott PortlandDec2013.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 53
Wow Laurie - you must have been standing right alongside Debby when she found the bird as you have managed to achieve exactly the same photo :eek!:

Hi Phil - and a Happy New Year to you;)

I never claim any photos to be my own, unless stated, it is used merely to illustrate a point or a sighting - no harm done and none intended.

We are, after all, all on the same side (supposedly)..........

All the best and good luck if you make the trek.

Hi Phil - and a Happy New Year to you;)

I never claim any photos to be my own, unless stated, it is used merely to illustrate a point or a sighting - no harm done and none intended.

We are, after all, all on the same side (supposedly)..........

All the best and good luck if you make the trek.

I think it would have been nice if you made it clear that the photo wasnt yours and credit the originator accordingly. Whether you have their consent is a different issue ....

Last edited:
Phil is correct. Just a gentle reminder about posting photos not taken by yourself. Don't. A link to the photo is fine but not the photo itself.

Oh dear - another bollocking..........

You are entitled to your opinion, Phil, and KCF as a super-mod is enforcer for Birdforum and as such outlines policy etc.

The photo was posted in order to highlight a rarity that, being of such close proximity for that particular species showed the pertinent characteristics of 'chunky' shape, rounder upper mandible and pale gape - features that are hard on the usual distant claims. There is no 'sinister' aspect to this and no claim that it is my own otherwise it would be stated. It can safely be assumed that it is not as most people that can be bothered to look at my posts will realise.

I post pictures of all sorts some have been photoshopped to add an element of humour into what is sometimes a dull day in a dull area and i know that they are appreciated by those that like that sort of thing.

I have credited people in the past and as you will be well aware it got me nowhere. BF have their rules but i regard a photo that is in the public domain as not sacrosanct and that is my opinion. If it is considered thus then if the original is accompanied by a request that the photo not be re-published without the express permission and or a watermark of some sort then that is fair enough.

I like to think that a lot of amateur birders, many of which have taken advantage of cheap digital technology in order to illustrate their findings would be pleased that somebody has used their image in order to illustrate salient features to a wider audience. There are probably people that look at my posts that have not even heard of Brunnichs' Guillemot and would not follow a boring link but would look closer at a picture and maybe be thus armed and possibly find one on a local reservoir in the West Midlands for office-bound workers with an understanding boss to drop everything and go and twitch it?

Phil - why do'nt you apply for a job as one of the mods then you wo'nt have to nit-pick and achieve the same thing by getting KCF on my case?

I have no wish for this to de-generate into a slanging match, you have your opinion and i have had my say so let's just enjoy the birds. I shall be looking for 2-barreds and Goshawks @ Wyre today and not at the extensive viewing facilities at New Fancy View.

I shall of course be on a pushbike, my Brompton, i have lots of pictures of that if anybody is remotely interested;)

ATB Laurie:t:

Phil - why do'nt you apply for a job as one of the mods then you wo'nt have to nit-pick and achieve the same thing by getting KCF on my case?

I have no wish for this to de-generate into a slanging match, you have your opinion and i have had my say

Two points Laurie - I didnt get KFC "on your case" and its not a case of opinions, its the rules of BirdForum.

Mary Stevens Park,first time there today full of people enjoying the day, typical town park with a fair amount of wildlife,Mary took some photos.

Attachments

• 29.12.13. 001.jpg
    29.12.13. 001.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 29.12.13. 005.jpg
    29.12.13. 005.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 29.12.13. 006.jpg
    29.12.13. 006.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 29.12.13. 008.jpg
    29.12.13. 008.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 27
  • 29.12.13. 011.jpg
    29.12.13. 011.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 29
Points taken Phil - do'nt take it too personally i would hate to fall out before i have even met you;)

Gladys - nice shots, terrific light ystda. I spent an hour working thru the BHG's i estimated a Winter high of ca 450 birds with a good mix first-Winter individuals.

Did you see the 1w Herring Gull? It seems very 'pale-mantled' to my eyes also present was an adult LBB and 5 Goosander 4 males and a single female:eek!: I do'nt know if any have been up @ Brake Mill Pools of late?

I managed some HG and Goosander shots and will post for perusal if they are not blurred - they will, of course be mine......

With these tremendous winds an Auk, of any sort, could easily turn up locally. I have not seen any of them in the Midz so that would be a nice Xmas present. Meanwhile the BG was still giving close views down @ Portland. Below is a pencil sketch digitalised from several photographs so the picture does'nt actually exist if you get my drift.

Attachments

• BGmotPencilJpegLow.jpg
    BGmotPencilJpegLow.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 42
Also popped down to Withymoor with the dogs - ca75 BHG's, a pair of adult LBB's, 3 pairs of Tufties and a handful of Redwings........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back