• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (1 Viewer)

Hi Paul - i struggled with the Little Grebes and only, eventually, found 1 bird skulking against the Dogwood (the Red Section) - they blend in so well in Winter plumage. The female Goosander had departed but i had 6 later on @ Mary Stevens Park, 2males and 4 females, this is my largest Winter count there thus far.

Also Grey Wagtail at both sites plus singing Dunnock and Nuthatch @ MSP also a handful of Redwings over at WM.

Bird of note, for me anyway, was a solitary adult Rook over the Railway Line - not much but i only get 2 or 3 records between the house on Penfields and the pool each year.

Laurie:t:

Wed 15th Jan -

Withymoor ca1230

Both Little Grebes surprisingly easy to view ystda. Tufties @ 2 pairs and not including the 'Scaup-faced' female of previous, ca50 BHG's and a solitary adult LBB - 2/3 Rewings noted.

Mary Stevens Park ca1600

A total of 6 Goosander today comprising 4 males and 2 females, the number and gender mix of the birds changes on a daily basis so there appears to be a bit of local movement. Also noted were a small party, ca30, of mixed Redwing and Fieldfare.

Mild at present but i would'nt say no to a bit of this...............:eek!:

Attachments

• BeBiePQCUAIedbT.png large.png
    BeBiePQCUAIedbT.png large.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 25
Wed 14th Jan at 8.30am....Peregrine over Marsh park Brierley Hill flew off towards Withymore.
Flock of Redwings in the park early morning, everyday this week.

Nice one Steve, first Winter one i've heard local but there are probably other unreported sightings......

Talking of which -

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...mounted-cameras-falcons-killer-strategy-video

Moved the boat ystda from Caunsall to Whittington. Passed a flooded field adjacent to the canal that had birds around the edge so cycled back hoping for either a Curlew or GP but only 28 Lapwing - still the largest party that i have seen locally this Winter. Popped to the settling tanks adjacent to the canal for a handful of Pied and Grey Wagtails - amazing amount of insect activity as you would expect! Back via the edge of the main sewerage works now all very efficient and thus not much in the way of birds - the less 'efficient' methods of spreading the stuff on the adjacent cachement meadows did mean day-counts of 500+ Curlew sometimes well in excess of that, ah well, that's progress for you:C

I only know of one breeding pair within a mile of the works at present, do'nt PM i'm sworn to secrecy.....

Mary Stevens Park ca1430

75+ BHG's plus the nice addition of 3 Herring Gulls - 2 1w and one 2w. Also present were 2 adult male Goosander.

Weather looks mixed to crap today but better tomorrow, might finally go to Bittell and back via Wildmoor - better on a Sunday imo, nobody about;)

Last edited:
out and about this morning ann early Afternoon with old friend Andy Shaw. starting Engine Lane Brownhills. cracking views of Glossy Ibis really close. Grey Wagtail also in Field. It than flew off. Then on to Gailey Island. Good views of Gt White Egret in reeds on Fishing Pool. Great Northern Diver on sailing Lake. Than off to Prioslee Pool. Great views of Velvet Scoter ( Female ) though always asleep.3 Scaup also.(1 Drake 2 Female). Bumped into Eric Phillips and sidekick Kinver Jim their. Excellent. Great Day.

Hi Paul - glad you clicked with the GI, we will probably try again next weekend. Just in time for another delivery of straw bales......How was Eric after his bump? OK i hope.

Unlike your good self i drew a blank on everything ystda. Arrived @ !2:00 for the monthly visit to Wildmoor and a couple of Buzzards spooked all the Gulls which deserted the site for the duration, whether they went to the pools across the road or an early roost elsewhere i do not know:C

Drew a blank with the GGS down the road near Catshill and with the other one over @ Bittell. The only 'plantation' that i saw was the field adjacent to the canal and the new pools that are being dug which consists of low broadleaves. I presume this is the one mentioned? Anyway, did'nt see anything but 5 Goosander on Lower Bittell.

The day was not without a highlight, however, the early departure of the gulls left only Corvids. Several hundred mixed Carrion Crows and Jackdaws and a handfull of Rooks. These kept seperate from the.........Ravens. I counted 3 groups in separate trees of 10-12 birds, in addition there were about 15+ birds in the air mobbing upto 4 Buzzards and a further 10-15 scattered about.

I would estimate 60+:eek!: birds yesterday which beats my previous total by 15 individuals easily. Where do these birds come from and are they there mid-week? - over to you Brian. A mate of mine is currently surveying local breeding Ravens and had 17 active nests within about 10 miles of Stourbridge - he's had 2 pairs re-furbishing this week. Wherever they are from it's quite a sight to see this many.......

Other stuff at Wildmoor included Fieldfare, Redwing, Green Woodpecker x2 and a solitary Snipe down by the small settling pool on the site.

ATB Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie.....the Bittell Shrike fields are on the Redditch/Birmingham Road just south of junc 2 of M42.
Get off junc 2 north bound and left along slip road then left again ...signposted to Alvechurch.....park in layby on left and cross road.
Shrike could be in any of the 2 fields you can see over hedge....most always someone there to talk to.

Hi Laurie, Eric on the mend of his zimmer Frame now, he drove up with Jim. Lakeside quiet this morning, only seen one Little Grebe, Tufted Duck(1Drake, 1Female. aprox 25 Black Headed Gulls. No sign of any Lesser Black Backed. Did have my 1st Local Patch Heron of the Year top of Tree. Good walk though nice and sunny and Fresh.

Mary Ste's

Had a pop round lakeside and mary stevens sunday morning.
Didn't catch up with much of note lakeside, mary ste's had 5 goosander though, 2 male 3 female.
Also had a bit of a coot rumble, piccies below...

Attachments

• DSCF2597.JPG
    DSCF2597.JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF2599.JPG
    DSCF2599.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 35
Mon 21 Jan...........

Tnx for the info Keith:t:

Withymoor ca 1200 -

Both Little Grebe still present, 2 pairs of Tufties including a 'Scaup-faced' female, 2 Grey Herons, GSPWPecker and half a dozen Redpolls feeding on Alders on the lower embankment.

West Hagley Fields ca1400 -

Zilch - ca20 Linnets and a Jay!

MSPark ca1600 -

80+ BHG's and 2 female Goosander.........

Stuff singing all over the place, i was going to pop into the Plough and Harrow for a pint but there was nobody i know in there:C

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...-your-friends-turned-into-January-people.html

quiet afternoon down Lakside Pool. Tufted Duck(4drakes,2female.) 1Little Grebe,1 Lesser Black Backed Gull, aprox 25 Black Headed Gulls, 2 Pied Wagtails. Gt Spotted Woodpecker nr Withymoor School.

A wander around Brake Mill Pools this afternoon before the deluge of rain forecast for the next few days yielded: a Goosander pair, Little Grebe x2, Tufted Duck: 7 male and 4 female, Mute Swan pair, a lone Black-headed Gull, Grey Wagtail, Robin, Blackbird, Long-tailed Tit, Treecreeper, G S Woodpecker, Buzzard and a male Sparrowhawk.

Quick walk round this morning. In pouring rain. Lakeside pool 2 Little Grebes around edge of Pool, Tufted Ducks (3 Drakes 2Female), 2 Lesser Black Backed Gulls(nr Adult), Black Headed Gulls(aprox25). last few Days noticed Male Blackbird with distinctive white around head.Also Song Thrush & several Redwings.

Thur 24 Jan..............

Mary Stevens Park ca1600

Nothing of note on the water just ca175 Black Headed Gulls. There was, however, a couple of hundred Redwings feeding on the ground - like Starlings for worms - adjacent to the bandstand.......

just the normal down the lake late morning. 2 Little Grebes, Tufted Duck.(5 Drakes 5 Female ). 30 + Black Headed Gulls. 1 Adult Lesser Black Backed Gull.
Down Wye Forest early Morning with old friend Andy Shaw. Great views of 3 Two Barred Cossbills(2Male 1 Female ), with aprox 25 Common Crossbills. siskins, Gt Spot Woodpecker. lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling nr by. Got back to hear Humes Yellow Browed Warbler present Hams Hall. Maybe Tomorrow if weathers okay.

Might not be the right place to post but does anyone know anything about a bird hide at/near wychbury hill/wassall lane? Ive heard through the grapevine one exists and was built because of a raptor being present there previously.

Also popped to brownhills today after heading to burton marsh and tittesworth. Ibis was showing wonderfully in the sun after the hail storm.

I did hear of a hide in that area (a long time ago) I assumed it was a private one for the purposes of photography around a drinking pool or feeders?

Have'nt had the enthusiasm with the recent weather to poke around too much and too cap it all my mate cancelled ystda (too muchB :) the night before) which meant no wheels.......A pity with so much stuff around fairly locally e.g. Shrikes, Xbills, Egrets, Divers and now the superb find @ Hams Hall of a 'Humes' Yellow-Browed Warbler:eek!:

http://worcesterbirding.co.uk/west_midlands_bird_news_72.html
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=420104&Y=291459&A=Y&Z=115

This first county and second regional record illustrates the value of local patching and what can be found if the time and trouble is put in.......regularly!

I have'nt seen anything remotely worth reporting, the Goosander appear to have deserted and my visit to Fens Pools during the week only produced a pair of Pochard. There is, however, other things to look at and listen to depending on ones interests. Last Thursday and Friday was quite active with the passage of Tornado fast jets thru the area. They usually travel in pairs and i picked up 2 x 2 pairs on Thursday afternoon and 3 x 2 pairs on Friday - all heading West-ish, presumably to the ranges of South Wales and/or the valleys of North Wales around the 'Mach Loop' (Machynlyth).

For those that are interested and bear in mind to specifically ID the culprits you will need to be carrying 'bins which is not a bad thing to have on your person anyway;). They tend to fly slightly lower than commercial flights at just over 30,000 feet - it's a sobering thought to think that in Nepal you can actually walk to the same height:eek!: The sound from the engines have a more 'raw' edge to it than the 737's that you will see on approach to Birmingham Airport (obviously much lower as well) and the other sign that it is something different is that the 'noise' is moving much faster. As i watched one pair on Friday a very, very high female-type Sparrowhawk hove into view - something that i probably would not have picked up had i not been tracking the jets.

Audibly the jets are more Great Tit compared to the Coat Tit tone of the airliners - there, back to birds! Oh and well done Paul for getting the H-YBW now find one down at Withymoor;)

Below is the sort of thing to look for and a link to the opening sequence of 'The Final Countdown' with an F14 on takeoff - earphones on and crank up the volume........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ZHbaD9NBQ

Attachments

• Contrail_Bill_Radawec_1.jpg
    Contrail_Bill_Radawec_1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 20
just the normal down the lake late morning. 2 Little Grebes, Tufted Duck.(5 Drakes 5 Female ). 30 + Black Headed Gulls. 1 Adult Lesser Black Backed Gull.
Down Wye Forest early Morning with old friend Andy Shaw. Great views of 3 Two Barred Cossbills(2Male 1 Female ), with aprox 25 Common Crossbills. siskins, Gt Spot Woodpecker. lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling nr by. Got back to hear Humes Yellow Browed Warbler present Hams Hall. Maybe Tomorrow if weathers okay.

Nice to see you down at the Hume's Paul. Sorry about the bemused face to start; out of the context of Lakeside I went all a blank! :t:
Hopefully see you around Lakeside soon.

Just back from an hour down @ Lakeside - do'nt normally post the same day but had a couple of large gulls in with about 80 BlackHeads.....

Single standard LBB with streaked Winter head and pale legs. The other individual looked good for an adult-type Yellow-Legged. A combination of 'clean' White head, decent sized driller, pale straw-Yellow legs and much reduced 'mirrors' on the primaries and a shade paler on the upperparts altho the sky was also 50 shades of Grey.

Worth keeping an eye open for............

Tufties were up to 9 birds - 3 males and 6 females.
Little Grebes were present in the shallows over by the Northern inflow, they can be surprisingly elusive in their Winter plumage against the background vegetation.

No passerines of note but the Male Blackbird that Paul mentioned has been around for about 18 months - if you half close yr eyes, think of Morocco :eek!: and draw on a spliff:smoke: (i do'nt indulge btw) and you've got a White-Crowned Black Wheatear;)

Might get the train over to Coleshill if that humei is performing.

Go for it Laurie still showing. Bonus yellow Browed Warbler found Offmoor Wood this morning, good photo by Craig Round on Twitter. Down Lakeside this Morning 2 Little Grebes, Tufted Ducks(3 Drakes 5 Female). 40-50 Black Headed Gulls. 1 Lesser Black Backed Gull. 2 Pied Wagtails. Redwings about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back