• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (2 Viewers)

Pestokill

Haha! I don't know if anyone else has had this ad shown on BF, but it made me laugh considering the site it's on and the topic in hand...

Attachments

• AptAd.jpg
    AptAd.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 42
Whats the BIG thing with the bird I dare not mention.
While watching the Shrike the other week someone said something about shit flying round when someone only went to see it......cant see what the fuss is.
Keith

Whats the BIG thing with the bird I dare not mention.
While watching the Shrike the other week someone said something about shit flying round when someone only went to see it......cant see what the fuss is.
Keith

Exactly. It shouldn't cause controversy away from the ecological politics of the species. But keeping reports out of the public/recorded domain at least keeps the ones that we know of that bit more safe.

What about if yr a birder and actually agree with the culling?

Laurie:t:

Again, exactly. I don't think there's a definitive answer. But without knowing the conclusions of an investigation into the "dangers" of the remaining few at present (if such an investigation exists), I personally would prefer not to aid the cull which is based on the previously much greater numbers posing the threat that we all know about.

There's always going to be differing opinions and I'm not one who enjoys sitting on the fence, so that's my stance but I'm open to changing my position with guidance and evidence.

Last edited:
Agreed SJ - i support the cull but the law of diminishing returns means that it's not worth hounding the remaining birds imho. Had a low tolerance been taken during the spp colonisation of the British Isles when numbers started being significant with Winter roosting then their would not be the furore that has been generated.

Prevention is always better than cure particularly as the 'scatter-gun' (literally) methods adopted by the DEFRA-licensed guns-for-hire has led to collateral damage of associated spp which is bad news all-round.

I have made enquiries to British Waterways with regard to an Oystercatcher that i had heard reported shot @ Gailey a couple of weeks ago - no reply as yet - and these are people that are supposed to know what they are doing.

Visiting a pool and looking at a bird has, to my knowledge, never killed any.

Anybody is entitled to their opinion and opinions are like @rseholes - everybody has one and is entitled to express it;)

Oh right...THEY want them all dead..... used to love seeing them in the 70's....a lovely looking duck.
Is it their aim to wipe them off the face of the earth....just in case one does the impossible and naturally inter breeds.
Keith

They certainly are but the RNP's are occupying all the available cavities......Oooooh Matron;)

Geoff - the cull has obviously been bad for the individuals concerned but imo it should never have reached that stage.

If there had'nt been any 'plastics' then i might have been able to tick the 2 males that i saw on the Great Pool on Tresco that came in overnight with 2 or 3 Ring-Necked Ducks pointing to an origin further West:C

What's the water situation up @ Muddleton? Can i actually get my Narrowboat from the cut to the centre of the reserve yet?:-O

Did Ufmoor Wood this morning only me there. No sign , but then it's bigger than I thought. Birds of note, num Bullfinchs(mostly Females), Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Gt Spotted Woodpecker. Goldcrests. Could still be their,who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back