• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wolves and bears in northern Spain (1 Viewer)

We had 4 wolves & a 300(ish)kg brown bear in the same day in Sweden.

Then 4 more bears & wolves howling the next day. We were on a tour with Wild Sweden though. Great company & very friendly & enthusiastic guides.

I also saw a brown bear in Slovenia.

Chris

Last month we were in Spain for Wolves, bears and anything else that moves including ending up with a reasonable avifauna list.

Went with Naturetrek and there were only 6 of us. Our Spanish guide was well connected and thus was able to take us to places where the general public not normally permitted.

Although weather not brilliant we did see up to 6 wolves on one occasion but very distant so needed a scope. We saw an Iberian wildcat not so distant, just able to take a video of it catching prey (mole rat) and trotting off with it. No bears though.

We stayed near Aguilar de Campoo and most of our time was in the Montana Palencia region though we did go south onto the plains for one day for bustards, etc

It looks like I have a team and we'll being going in February; so hopefully I be able to add some gen myself before too long.

It looks like I have a team and we'll being going in February; so hopefully I be able to add some gen myself before too long.

I'm also hoping to visit the area early next year (probably late Feb) but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of information out there apart from what can be gleaned from trip reports by the various travel companies. Exact details of the various watch points would be useful although I understand the local hotels are happy to provide information once you arrive in the area.

Hey guys

I did some seawatching off estaca de bares in early september, and managed to fit in a day to go and see the bears in Somiedo. They were really easy, 3 adults and a cub seen in about 3 hours watching, spread over 2 days. Details on my blog, although they are apparently easier in late summer there?

Not sure what species they were, but there were Chamois on the road between Potes and Panes when I was failing to see Wallcreeper

Do Spanish bears hibernate? And where in the Cantabrians would one look for Pyrenean Chamois?

John

AFAIK all European populations of Brown Bear hibernate. I'm not sure if this was the case before southern bears were restricted to mountain ranges.

In the far north bears emerge to feed in April, but I guess Spanish populations are active much earlier in good weather.

Went with Naturetrek and there were only 6 of us. Our Spanish guide was well connected and thus was able to take us to places where the general public not normally permitted.

Ha...I was talking in the phone with a friend,an agriculture inspector in Cantabria,last week..He is doing Wolf and Bear surveys (and Otter and Badger ).He was complaining about the lack of ethics of some guides..I am amazed that someone can claim to be well "connected" and use those connections, to bring people to places where there are not allowed to enter...
The "general public",or "People",as I see Us, are not allowed to go to protected areas, precisely to protect and preserve pristine nature..
I just think is a very bad practice from Naturetrek to make money , breaking the law and regulations using their "connections"..and for a "recreational enviromentalist",ECO-consumer o nature paparazzi,as I like to call some of this people ,to pay a guide to cross the line and go WHEREVER it takes in pursue of that pristine experience, a total shame too.

Wouldn´t You agree?

Manuel

Last edited:
Manuel - I suggest you get your facts right before accusing Naturetrek of breaking the law on a public forum. You have no idea what we do in Spain, or what local authorities and park rangers we work with (there are many of them), nor what official permits and authorisations we have worked hard to obtain over the years. If you have concerns then you should contact us away from the forum to talk about them. In the meantime I await your public apology.

in Cordillera Cantabrica? I know there are meant to be about 2500 - 3000 wolves in the area
Striking large number in comparison to other parts of Europe except far east. It would mean, that maybe wolf populations could be bigger.
Some of the websites about the Natural Parks of Cantabria state that the Brown Bears there have not been known to hibernate in recent years.
Global warming and bears ?

Well just got back from a four night trip. We were unsuccessful! I'll post more later - I'm going to enjoy not freezing in the field tonight, and watch the rugby - but I think if I was going back again I would consider a guide.

We did also get some hassle of a park guard - while parked by the road - despite having earlier been waved at by one, and given his latest wolf sighting by another!

I would also strongly recommend the Posada rural El Tejar: a very good value hotel, run by the delightful Monica - who speaks good English. The meals are huge! Actually rather too huge.

I'm sure John will give more details in John's mammals, in the list section.

Cheers

Well just got back from a four night trip. We were unsuccessful! I'll post more later - I'm going to enjoy not freezing in the field tonight, and watch the rugby - but I think if I was going back again I would consider a guide.

We did also get some hassle of a park guard - while parked by the road - despite having earlier been waved at by one, and given his latest wolf sighting by another!

I would also strongly recommend the Posada rural El Tejar: a very good value hotel, run by the delightful Monica - who speaks good English. The meals are huge! Actually rather too huge.

I'm sure John will give more details in John's mammals, in the list section.

Cheers

I endorse all Steve's remarks.

The trip report will be in Vacational Trips rejoicing in the title "Wolves are Bustards in Northern Spain", but I probably won't start today as I have a load of non-wolf photos to process. :-C

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back