• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcock (1 Viewer)

Freezo

This is a bird I've never seen And I've been making some effort to do so this year by visiting a wood at dusk which local birders tell me is a good place for them.

I have a few questions.

Firstly, the wood in question is normally very damp, but we've had little significant rainfall in the Chilterns for at least a couple of months and the wood is bone dry. Is it likely that any woodcock will have moved to a moister wood locally? (there are plenty to choose from.)

One of my guidebooks suggests edges of woods are best for seeing the birds where I've been sitting in a wide (30 yards or so) firebreak, but with good long ranging views. Am I sitting in the wrong spot?

Finally, would I be better to sit still and quiet for a while as dusk falls or would I be better walking around making normal levels of noise?

Thanks,
Fraser

Finally, would I be better to sit still and quiet for a while as dusk falls or would I be better walking around making normal levels of noise?
Generally speaking, in my experience at least, it's better to do the former. If you move around a lot, you'll pretty much have to rely on accidentally flushing a woodcock - or, if you're lucky and they're active displaying and chasing each other, you'll see them regardless of what you do. However, I don't know what the topograpy is like in that particular place, so I don't know how viable either option is in this case.

Firebreaks and rides are usually quite good places to see them, although they can also display over the tree tops. I'm fortunate in that there are good numbers near me and I can sit out and sometimes see 2-3 roding at the same time. Staying in one spot is probably best but they generally only take a few minutes to fly around their territory so be prepared to move somwhere different if you don't find anything after a while. It is really important to learn their call. The high-pitched squeak is often the first indication of an approaching roding male. The lower pitched grunts are only audible at close range.

Yes, I would say better to stand still at a pre-determined site not least because the quieter you are the better your chances of hearing the roding call. I think the key is finding a suitable spot where you can get a good view of the sky. The guidance for this year's BTO Woodcock survey suggests the junction of two rides/paths or, failing that, within a glade or felled area.

Thanks folks, I'll keep trying.
The firebreak I'm sitting in is set lower than the surrounding woods so I'm only seeing a slice of sky. I'll try somewhere with more of a panorama - although the precise spot I'm using has been recommended by knowledgable locals.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back