• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers, Jays, Ducks, oh my! (Redding, CA, USA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

Thanks for your patience on some more IDs, possibly some new birds for me.

1. Acorn Woodpecker?
  2. California Scrub Jay? (formerly known as the Western Scrub Jay)
  3. Common Merganser, female?

Attachments

• IDme_AcornWoodpecker.JPG
    IDme_AcornWoodpecker.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IDme_CaliforniaScrubJay.JPG
    IDme_CaliforniaScrubJay.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IDme_CommonMerganser.JPG
    IDme_CommonMerganser.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 48
Thanks everyone.

The woodpecker species I've seen once or twice local to me, but never had a decent photo. Redding on the other hand had dozens of them seemingly anywhere the local tall trees were. Though it took alot of patience and trial-n-error to catch them sitting still...busy birds.

The merganser is new to me, quite a striking duck.

Scrub Jay I'm familiar with, though it literally has changed names since I last took a good photo of one. |:S|

Acorn Woodpeckers hang out in groups. So if you see one there are usually others nearby.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back