• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worlds Funniest Bird Name? (12 Viewers)

Where did Brubru come from? That one keeps making me smile.

Quite an attractive bird too.

D

Haha, what a great thread! Here are my contributions:

Biscutate Swift - say what now?
Rufous Casiornis- I always interpret this in spanish or spanish-latin to mean "almost bird"
Bright-rumped Attila
Shear-tailed Gray Tyrant
Henna-hooded Foliage-Gleaner
Sepia-capped Flycatcher (I love the use of obscure color names)
peppershrikes
Burnished-buff Tanager
Black-goggled Tanager (awesome!)
Carunculated Caracara
Carbonated Sierra-Finch (oh, is it a bubbly?)
Booted Raquet-tail
Shining Sunbeam
Velvet-purple Coronet (and other coronets)
Metailtails
Strange-tailed Tyrant
Cock-tailed Tyrant (haha)
pewees
Jocotoco antpitta

Endless! Not to mention all the weird furnariid names.... xenops, treehunter, treerunner, spinetail, softtail, tit-spinetail, brushrunner, barbtail, and so on.

A spin-off of this thread could be those bird names that exactly fit the bird in question ie does exactly what it says on the tin! Trouble is I cant think of one at the moment but am sure there are some out there.Get thinking.....

A spin-off of this thread could be those bird names that exactly fit the bird in question ie does exactly what it says on the tin! Trouble is I cant think of one at the moment but am sure there are some out there.Get thinking.....

Just been watching a Treecreeper in the garden - that fits!!

Is it not 'Zilpzalp'? Still funny, whichever it is :)

I believe now you could be right, however I remember a German friend telling me some bird names in his native tongue and he certainly said Zip Zap for a Chiffer. Yup! Zilp Zalp is quite funny but lacks the electrical quality of Zip Zap.

Si.

some crackers from ovenbird 43. Reminds me of how wonderful so many hummer names are...I love Shining Sunbeam too.....and Tourmaline Sunangel. Has anyone said Chaco Chachalaca yet? What about Zamboanga Bulbul?

Is there anyone out there who plans their trips specifically to see birds with silly names, or at least puts in that extra effort to try and do so. Would you for example walk 10k up a muddy trail for a Brownish Flycatcher or 10k up one for a Festive Coquette?

Last edited:
Yes it is Zilpzalp, but spoken sounds a bit like Zipzap...

Another nice one in German is Trottellumme = Common Guillemot. "Trottellumme" literally translated means "Idiot Guillemot"

Last edited:
Yes it is Zilpzalp, but spoken sounds a bit like Zipzap...

Another nice one in German is Trottellumme = Common Guillemot. "Trottellumme" literally translated means "Idiot Guillemot"

Thanks for tidying up that small issue Dalat. I knew I didn't hear my German friend wrong.

Si.

funniest

On a Jamaica Bay bird walk in June, the newbie birders could justt not get their tongues around the name of the vagrant we were watching; "Frivolous Wittling-duck", "Ferruginous Waddling-duck". Great find, but greater names!

Abbreviations always get me wierd looks from non-birders. "O look, a sharpie!" (Everyone starts looking for a dropped marker as the accipiter rockets away).

Once, at my old school, I found a dead bird outside with my class. And naturally, everyone wants to know what it is (I was and am the bird man in all of my schools) And if there was a bird name that you could recite that would make you look like more of a nerd then you are, it's this. "It's a yellow-bellied sapsucker!"

Ok, funny bird names:
Violet-crowned woodnymph
Kookaburra (I love that name)
Pigeon Guillemot
Ouzel (awesome name)
Oldsquaw (I'm sorry, vintage stuff is great!)
Southern Bentbill (What does that look like?)
White-fronted Falconet (so small, so cute, and "falconet" sounds great)
Pacific Baza

The Laughing Jack Ass would take the cake IMO!

White-headed Buffalo-weaver - does it have a white head or does it weave white-headed buffaloes?

Vivid niltava
Tinkling cisticola

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back