• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would like identification on following pics (1 Viewer)

Hello Killian,
welcome to birdforum!

First one is a 1 winter= 1 calendar year= 1 cycle bird (=that means it was born in 2019). I havent experience with that complex problem in the Middle East, but it looks like one of those eastern type Lesser black-backed Gull forms or a Caspian Gull to me. Strange for a Caspian Gull seems to me the extensive black tail ....
But I better stop, and hope for the experts to jump in. Thankfully there are some of the foremost gullers active around here and they will (hopefully) help us.

Second bird is a 1 cy Common Gull. Please note:
  • just imaginable rounded head with tiny bill (against one of the larger Gulls)
  • broad uniform tailband without any pattern/smearing/spotting on the base (not good for a large Gull).
This bird looks different to the ones you are used to see in Belgium. But the suspected ssp heinei in Abu Dabi looks like your bird with a white underwing and a contrasting dark trailing edge.

Hello Killian,
welcome to birdforum!

First one is a 1 winter= 1 calendar year= 1 cycle bird (=that means it was born in 2019). I havent experience with that complex problem in the Middle East, but it looks like one of those eastern type Lesser black-backed Gull forms or a Caspian Gull to me. Strange for a Caspian Gull seems to me the extensive black tail ....
But I better stop, and hope for the experts to jump in. Thankfully there are some of the foremost gullers active around here and they will (hopefully) help us.

Second bird is a 1 cy Common Gull. Please note:
  • just imaginable rounded head with tiny bill (against one of the larger Gulls)
  • broad uniform tailband without any pattern/smearing/spotting on the base (not good for a large Gull).
This bird looks different to the ones you are used to see in Belgium. But the suspected ssp heinei in Abu Dabi looks like your bird with a white underwing and a contrasting dark trailing edge.
They sure do look different then the ones in belgium! Thank you for your quick reply. The app i have or i can find for the Middle East is not in English

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I've been around since the beginning of BF Kilian and every day is packed with fun and lots of info ;)

Thanks Rafael for correction!

I have only seen one Pallas Gull before, so I havent experience with this species. And after enlarging the picture once more, I see the white eye-ring, in a good shape for this species according to literature

Edit: I have taken a picture of a 1cycle Common Gull today with a similar impression of the head-bill ratio and the steep, dove-like jizz imo (I was instantly reminded to this bird here). I just want to share it with you.

Thanks again to Rafael for correction!

S0912667 (1).jpg

all: Sturmmöwen 12.02.2022 (12.02.2022, Wusterwitzer See, NE.Germany)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back