• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would you choose Nikon 7X35 E or 8X30 E, both second gen Criterions? (1 Viewer)

Canuck Bob

Hello from western Canada. I am in the market only for older 7X or 8X Nikon E Criterion models. As luck has it I've found both available with help from a member of another forum. I sure appreciate folks who share so freely on these forums but alternative choices are not required. I'll search until the right pair of Nikon E second gens come along. Besides the price is right for well regarded porro binos.

I'm leaning toward the 7X35 because I have some medical shake, 16mm ER as opposed to 13-14 for 8X, and slighter longer objective for my larger hands. Internet research has been extensive so the binoculars are as understood as a greenhorn can be. Reduced FOV is fine for my needs. Sealed not required because if it is freezing or raining the only thing I look for is my Jeep!

Which of these binoculars would you choose and why if you care to share?

Would you consider a pro service and collimation if the intention is to keep them until death does part (used enough to be compatible first)?

Hi,

it seems then the 7x35 is your best bet since it fits better plus if you decide to go for an E2 sometime later you can choose either model without a double.

PS: Welcome to birdforum!

Joachim

I'd take the 7x35 if field of view is not a consideration. It has a larger exit pupil so will be brighter with more comfortable target acquisition, and it has a less complex eyepiece (two lenses instead of three) so will have higher light transmission resulting in better color and contrast especially if it is a single layer coated model (if multi-coated with the green coatings, this is not so much an issue). It has a little less magnification than the other, but I think this is a good trade-off for the 7x35's advantages. And, yes, have it serviced.

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

If you have problems with shaking, then there is no question in my mind that the 7x35 will suit you better. Aside from the lower magnification, you also have a larger exit pupil, which should help.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

To answer your question, for my use I would pick the 8x30 with higher mag, wider fov and because my hands are steady. For your use the 7x35 would be a much better choice for the reasons you listed.

Thank you all, the seller has a mint 8X30 E C (300USD/405CAD) and 8X30E2 (420USD/565CAD)! I'm going to stick with the 7X35 after reading here. A mild tremor and wanky eye sight due to ongoing meds has prompted this idea. Also I really tend to focus my viewing under 300M and most likely 100M and closer.

The E2 was tempting until I saw the price!

What is a good price for a nice 7X35 E C in CAD or USD?
I set my budget in the 200-250CAD plus shipping range and am now wondering if I'm sensible.

If the 7x35 is actually the C version of the E, it should have multi-coated optics which appear green in which case $200-$250 CAD is a reasonable price. But, if not, and it has single layer coatings which will appear blue-purple, then I wouldn't pay much more than $75-$100 CAD for it.

Last edited:
Thanks LPT, the pictures confirm both the 8X30 coating colour and the proper designation on the bino for the 8X30 E Criterion. The 7X35 never materialized as the seller changed his mind. Your pricing evaluation matches my research closely. I estimated 200-300 depending on condition. With 300 close to BNIB condition.

Thanks LPT, the pictures confirm both the 8X30 coating colour and the proper designation on the bino for the 8X30 E Criterion. The 7X35 never materialized as the seller changed his mind. Your pricing evaluation matches my research closely. I estimated 200-300 depending on condition. With 300 close to BNIB condition.

Thanks to LPT and all others. As related in another thread the final decision was a 8X30 EII 800series sn black body model. For other newcomers like me wondering about costs and tech issues with used or specially older used binos I wrote the following. I'm a compulsive researcher for such purchasers and new to quality binoculars. Much that I relate is the outcome of forum research here, the Cloudy Evening folks, and the Optic Talkers. A better research grouping would be a fantasy.

If bought right the EII was a better performing binocular by an incremental amount over the E MC. The focus system, particularly the focus bridge, was upgraded to SE standards. The black model later EII, black body, is a housing covering upgrade to elimination of the EII first gen's occasional covering bubbling and replacement, well documented. In the end the Nikon E, EII , and SE series might be the most documented series on the net. Someone as compulsive as me can feel comfortable about quality, worts and all, after a dozen uber geek reviews and scores of threads.

Cons of a sort. I decided early in research that a proper complete service was required for the E MC. These are keepers and my only user binos. This added 125CAD to the EII matching price. This made a ton of difference. Rant the complete series from top to bottom sucks for tripod use. They brag about a stupidly expensive gizmo the clamps to the focus tube, really. So many how to articles start with attach to tripod! Other binos clamp with simple bent L adaptors that are very inexpensive. Reminds me of Apple computer magnetic chargers, good idea coupled with bend over marketing.

Bob

They brag about a stupidly expensive gizmo the clamps to the focus tube, really. So many how to articles start with attach to tripod! Other binos clamp with simple bent L adaptors that are very inexpensive.

Bob

Don't dismiss that "stupidly expensive giizmo" until you've tried it. It's by far the best tripod adapter for the binoculars it fits, which includes most old Porros. Worth every penny.

Henry

Henry is right!

If you find that you require a tripod adapter for any of your Nikon Porros that is the one to get.

Bob

I have already changed my position coming from you two. If I bought the 10X I would seek one out. Thank you for valued advice based in experience.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back