• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WWT Welney Flight Shots (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Sparrowhawk
Can you help me Identify the birds in these Flight Shots? I am particularly interested in the odd dark bird in the centre as I suspect he is the one that set them off.

I will update my friends on my absence later2021_12_10_9999_98.jpg2021_12_10_9999_99.jpg

Hello Butty,
after reading the answer, I was first puzzled, too. We all know and benefit from the knowledge of smiths. But then I realized, that there must be Marsh Harrier in the picture.
I must admit I searched all three pictures for another species and didnt found one. But when you know, there is a MH somewhere, you can find it.

The lapwing in the last picture was interesting. If it hadn’t been mentioned or shown previously, I’d probably just have missed it in the third pic….if I had seen it, I would have been flummoxed, as it was because it was in the other two I could figure out what it was…a still picture is great, but their flight is so singular!

Lapwing + BTG (Black-Tailed Godwit). Appear to be so many in flight due to a predator nearby (Marsh Harrier or other large BOP), which is what smiths has said above.

Hello Butty,
after reading the answer, I was first puzzled, too. We all know and benefit from the knowledge of smiths. But then I realized, that there must be Marsh Harrier in the picture.
I must admit I searched all three pictures for another species and didnt found one. But when you know, there is a MH somewhere, you can find it.
It's in the bottom right corner of the 3rd picture, chestnut brown wings flying away from the camera with the creamy coloured head.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back