• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

www.bookdepository.com (1 Viewer)

I stumbled upon that as well. Here in Dutchieland we have a store called Donner.nl that seems like a good substitute and we have bol.com that's kind of a local Amazon. Best thing we have is boekwinkeltjes.nl ("bookstores" literally) where all secondhand books are found.

Which brings me to this question; why are there so few secondhand birding/nature books offered here @ bf? Does everybody do that on other marketplaces and/or don't want to get into possible shipping abroad? I think there could grow quite an interesting book exchange with people like bf'ers!

Which brings me to this question; why are there so few secondhand birding/nature books offered here @ bf? Does everybody do that on other marketplaces and/or don't want to get into possible shipping abroad? I think there could grow quite an interesting book exchange with people like bf'ers!
I think it is largely because birders don't tend to want to sell their books, they are either active collectors or simply want an extensive library as much as possible of various parts of the world/areas of nature

Last edited:
I have used world of books for years without any problems, very quick delivery .
My experience with them is massively negative, often in very poor condition and with library stickers, plus, non of the staff know anything about books.

with the closure of www.bookdepository.com it seems harder now to get various titles
Anyone suggest the best alternative (eg post free)

I've found the best option to be Amazon - typically coming in considerably cheaper than NHBS (which is the other obvious option) for delivery to our neck of the woods. Quite a lot of my recent purchases have been post free. Also, dont forget to check out Amazon.de as well as.co.uk - I just picked up the Flexi cover copy of Lynx Eds Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago considerably cheaper from .de. It has the added advantage (to you and I anyway) of being a Euro currency site

I've found the best option to be Amazon - typically coming in considerably cheaper than NHBS (which is the other obvious option) for delivery to our neck of the woods. Quite a lot of my recent purchases have been post free. Also, dont forget to check out Amazon.de as well as.co.uk - I just picked up the Flexi cover copy of Lynx Eds Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago considerably cheaper from .de. It has the added advantage (to you and I anyway) of being a Euro currency site
As someone who expect to move to EU land sometime in the future, how easy is it to use the DE site with other languages? My German is very poor.
Niels

For comparison Amazon v NHBS - I picked up the new Birds to the Greater Southern Africa from Amazon.co.uk for €41.78 (post free). While NHBS price intially looks good (€37.55), there's a whopping €14.33 being charged for posting - so that is NHBS coming in almost 25% more expensive.

If that holds true for most books of a similar price (and experience tells me it does), then you are effectively getting 5 books from Amazon versus 4 from NHBS for the same money

For comparison Amazon v NHBS - I picked up the new Birds to the Greater Southern Africa from Amazon.co.uk for €41.78 (post free). While NHBS price intially looks good (€37.55), there's a whopping €14.33 being charged for posting - so that is NHBS coming in almost 25% more expensive.

If that holds true for most books of a similar price (and experience tells me it does), then you are effectively getting 5 books from Amazon versus 4 from NHBS for the same money

I suspect international postage is making big difference for you. In the UK even with postage NHBS is sometimes (but not consistently) cheaper than Amazon.

For secondhand books in the UK ebay is obviously worth a try and Oxfam's online shop can occasionally be good.

I suspect international postage is making big difference for you. In the UK even with postage NHBS is sometimes (but not consistently) cheaper than Amazon.

For secondhand books in the UK ebay is obviously worth a try and Oxfam's online shop can occasionally be good.

You are absolutely correct that international postage is the difference. And to make matters worse, books I have bought recently from NHBS go to Germany first and eventually get shipped to Ireland - this means a 3 day transit turns into a 3 week transit and probably doesn't help minimise the cost either!

Thanks for that... Yes I agree postage from UK to Ireland is prohibitive....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back